The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

This has been bugging me

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: This has been bugging me

ORIGINAL: Pete

Its quite simple if you really think about it. Turbochargers are powered by wasted exhaust gasses coming through the exhaust manifold....When in boost, they move tons of CFM's and force more air into the motor, adding more fuel making more power. However, when they are NOT in boost, they boost fuel economy because...........An engine is a big air pump.....and the turbo causes the engine to use wasted energy to aid in the suction of new air, so the engine is fed the air. Turbochargers also atomize the air, when you have a finely atomized mixture of oxygen and fuel, it burns much more effieciently. The combination of that and the exhaust gasses spinning the compressor wheel, give great mileage, but only when not in boost. I had a turbo automatic SOHC motor, I was getting around 45 mpg on the highway, being very easy with the throttle.
That's the part that has made the most sense to me. All the responses that just say "it recycles energy" i still don't get. If you are still putting more air into the engine (like a turbo does) you also must put in more fuel to compensate...it just doesn't pass the common sense test in my opinion...

Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 AM
HCF Member

Think about it. Its like breathing.....you need to breathe in air, so does an engine, but if something is kinda blowing air into you or the engine, its easier to breathe, thus using less energy, or fuel.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 AM
HCF Member

Also note that in most cses people who have turbo on there car take better care of there car. They use only the best fuel and oils thus getting more out of there car. This is not always the case but none of our cars come stock with turbos so i would expect most people who boost thre hondas treat them very well and thus get the most out of there cars.

I know plenty of people who have nice newer cars and dont even get the stated milage becuse they never do a tune up and only use 87 gas thinking that they are saving money.

In my non turbo car that i try to take good care fo i used 1/2 tank going to PA (2 hour drive) with 89 on the same drive 2 weeks later i only used 1/4 tank by using 93 octane gas.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete

Think about it. Its like breathing.....you need to breathe in air, so does an engine, but if something is kinda blowing air into you or the engine, its easier to breathe, thus using less energy, or fuel.
But it's so different. The air you breathe in doesn't have to react with anything else...I can kind of agree with the atomizing concept though, because I do know that it is true.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

i think what he is saying is that there is more air coming in so you would need more fuel to keep the same air/fuel ratio. so your car is stoich and not running lean?

Old 09-12-2007, 06:22 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: BX_Civic

I know plenty of people who have nice newer cars and dont even get the stated milage becuse they never do a tune up and only use 87 gas thinking that they are saving money.

In my non turbo car that i try to take good care fo i used 1/2 tank going to PA (2 hour drive) with 89 on the same drive 2 weeks later i only used 1/4 tank by using 93 octane gas.
There is no way that upping an otherwise stock car from 89 to 93 will double your gas milage. It's absolutely not possible, a stock Civic will burn 89 just as efficiently as 93, maybe even more so. The only reason to burn 93 is to prevent detonation on a high compression and/or high boost engine. There was something else to thank for that increase... tire pressure, wind, traffic, speed, temperature, humidity, etc.