The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

how hard is it ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Default how hard is it ...

So my dad just moved to japan and he's been telling me about all the different cars and stuff he's seeing over there ... anyways so he's been telling me how he thinks he might get an older nissan skyline to drive around there and that he could get one CHEAP so i was just wondering is it even possible to register an older skyline here in the states or is it just to much trouble. Because if you can i think i might have to save up.

Oh yeah i live in CO if that helps

Old 07-19-2006, 06:52 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: how hard is it ...

i don't think that it would be too hard. if it passes the emissions test.
________
Half-Baked

Last edited by BrianT; 04-28-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:58 PM
HCF Member

you can register any skyline unless it is a R34 GTR

Old 07-19-2006, 07:04 PM

its possible but i think it depends on what type skyline u bring over(R34 or R32) one of them u can make legal over here and the other u cant for some reason but i dunno which it is...and ya skylines are pretty damn cheap and EXTREMELY common over there. my friend goes there every year and tells me how he sees skylines everywhere. he saw one down the street from where his family lives in japan that was forsale for a couple grand he really wanted to buy it but shipping it over would cost some maaaajor $$$.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:19 PM

yeah i'm heading out to japan to visit my dad for christmas and if i could save up enough to get one while i'm there ... i definetly will haha. I'm thinking around a 1990 R32 ... Right now i'm just trying to figure out how much it would cost me to
1. Get the car
2. Get it over here
3. Registration and Insurance
(If anyone wants to take a stab at any of these numbers go for it)

Speaking of insurance how would you insure a foreign car ... i just went to progressive.com to see how much insurance would be and their wasn't a listing for skyline? do you just put it in as a kit car?

Haha my dad was talking to me and said "Alot of the kids are into that drifting thing out here and their cars are pretty cool ... sometimes i'll see them drifting through intersections its pretty cool"

Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 PM

i wanna go with u LOL. i talked to a guy who was thinkn about shipping a car over from japan. he said it would cost him like 8,000 to ship it over tho. now that is the first time i have ever heard of someone shipping something over so i dont know if that was right or not.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:46 PM

Only R33 Skylines are eligible to be imported into the US. Sorry

However if you can afford an R33 it would cost you roughly 15k to take care of the whole thing.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 PM

i wanna go with u LOL
haha yeah i'm pretty excited ... i'm trying to take advantage of my dad living there while i can. So when i go out there i'm definetly gonna look for cheap JDM parts and other stuff.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Stinky Administrator

take me to pleaseeeee lol have fun when you go and i hope you can get a skyline

Old 07-20-2006, 02:20 AM

the reason you can only bring the r33 over is cause, the r34 has windows theat shatter when hit with even a peble, plus it is way to expencive, and to much of a hassle, that is what ive heard. but a friend did import a teggy, and it only costed him like 2k to ship it from there to alaska so...

Quick Reply: how hard is it ...