The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

I've been noticing lately...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default I've been noticing lately...

Is it just me, or has the attitude around here changed a bit in the last year or so? I mean, when I joined, it seemed like everyone was really relaxed around here... I've noticed a lot more flaming around here (and I'm aware I'm guilty of it sometimes, too)... I realize that seeing a thousand "what intake should I get?" and "What should I do to get more performance?" threads can be a bit tedious, but still... given the recent forum problems (and the subsequent drop in the amount of active members), shouldn't we be trying to gain as many new members as possible? I don't know about anyone else, but I know how it feels to be a new member... most people figure "f**k this" when they get flamed for asking a "stupid question" and go find another, friendlier forum to hang around in. If you see a repeated question, why post in the thread? If you don't have anything to actually contribute to the thread (ie, answer the d**m question), just skip on to the next thread.

Not everyone is endowed with natural mechanical knowledge... hell, my dad never really shared anything other than how to change oil and that kind of stuff with me (I didn't even find out until a year or two ago that he modded cars back in the day). We all gotta start somewhere, and what's a stupid question to one of the senior members might be a perfectly legitimate question to ten newbies.

All I'm asking is that we start being a bit more friendly around here... then again, I'm sure nobody's going to agree with me on this

*puts on flame suit*

(and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone)

Old 07-05-2008, 04:07 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I've been noticing lately...

+1 reaper...I've only been on about a year, and I've noticed that yes:
1) attitude has gone downhill
2) flamings have increased (yep I'm guilty too)
mostly I just browse the threads to learn, or read stuff that looks interesting, try to help out where I can which isn't much, but I have learned a lot here...lets keep up with the helpful stuff (heck I know I've got a ton to learn about cars in general, and civics in specific) and cut the crap...

Old 07-05-2008, 04:32 PM
HCF Member

I agree, the site seems a lot different than it did when I first joined up. I remember when I joined that I knew absolutly nothing about cars at all and this forum as taught me a lot. I like to try and help other people who are starting out like I was but I still find it a bit rediculous that they ask the same question every day that you can easily find by searching or reading the stickies. I will admit I flame a little too, but I try to point them in theright direction first.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Cat Fuсker

I flame a lot and I don't like any of you... do I qualify for a cookie yet? Stop bitching and look into what you do yourselves.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:51 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Roto

I flame a lot and I don't like any of you... do I qualify for a cookie yet? Stop bitching and look into what you do yourselves.
+1. I'll take chocolate chip.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

In my opinion, compared to other Civic forums, HCF seems to have less flaming and bad behavior. That's why I enjoy participating here. It's possible, however, that I miss the flaming you mention because I read different kinds of threads than you do. I primarily read threads where someone requires very basic technical help to fix a problem and, for the most part, the people participating in such threads are both courteous and helpful. However, I very much agree with your philosophy that posting no comment at all is always better than posting a rude one.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I understand that new members need to use the search function, but have you guys ever tried using the search function when you don't know exactly what you're looking for? It's pretty confusing, not to mention you almost never find what you're looking for. But I do agree about the stickies... they're pretty much right there, there's no excuse for not reading them.

Even when I tell someone to use the search function, I try to give them their answer at the same time (or provide a link)... I figure maybe they'll actually try the search function next time (or not... it's their loss), and they get a friendlier response than the generic "use the search function"... meaning they might actually stay on the forum, learn more about civics, and contribute to the forum with their newfound knowledge (meaning they can answer the questions so we don't have to lol)

Old 07-05-2008, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete

ORIGINAL: Roto

+1. I'll take chocolate chip.
is there any Oreo's in the bag? is it mixed cookies or just chocolate chip?

Old 07-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Cat Fuсker

Can we turn this thread into a "Blame Canada" thread? I think that'd be appropriate...

Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: I'

LOLZ n00bz.

No... Seriously, I stopped coming around here because of how the forum changed.

Now I don't even drive a civic anymore. [>:]

Quick Reply: I've been noticing lately...