The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

which laptop is better? help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:32 PM
HCF Member
Default which laptop is better? help...

we might be getting a new computer soon and i was wondering which one of these is better? im leaning twards the first one..or any other seggestions?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

thanks

Old 06-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Default RE: which laptop is better? help...

The second link asks for a canadian postal code? The first laptop looks good I guess it matters what you will use it for? the 128mb shared video memory might be weak for newer games and graphic intensive programs.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:35 PM

I know you didn't ask, but I'd suggest that you save a couple more bucks and spring for a Mac Powerbook. It's powerful, easy, and beautiful. I've got one and I LOVE it. I can't wait to unload my PC desktop on someone so I have an excuse to use the laptop all the time.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:49 PM
HCF Member

I guess it all depends on what you are going to be using the laptop for? Gaming / general email use & word processing / 3d modeling and photoshop ?? If you are just going to be checking email, reading HCF all day (like I do ) then you won't need anything with huge amounts of ram/processor power/video memory ... but if you are going to be playing the newest Counter Strike / Everquest style games, then something beefier is needed.

As far as getting a Mac.. They are a great all around computer, but is it worth justifying the price tag? I guess if money is no issue, and learning a new OS sounds fun (even though it is pretty easy), then yeah, go for it.. And don't take this as a anti-mac thing, I love my fully loaded G5 I have a work (<-- graphic designer) just most people are used to PCs and have no clue how to do certain things when it comes to an Apple. And, also, if it is gaming you are after, good luck finding many games for the Mac.. just isn't there yet.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:26 PM

Not HP. That's my answer. Toshiba, Acer, Asus all good companies, even Dell is ok for a laptop; but not HP.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:20 PM
HCF Member

[sm=pcwhack.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]....Just a matter of time before the mac users ding in to make this interesting!

Old 06-16-2006, 09:27 PM
HCF Member

Why dont u like HP? Im using my Compaq laptop, and it runs great. IMO I would love to game on my laptop but I can never be like a desktop. If ur going to game on ur laptop, dont get an intergrated GPU like that one, buy one that got ATI or nVIDIA, if ur not then that 128MB might be just fine. You might as well want to upgrade the RAM to atleast 1GB(cheap). Personally I dont like Dell or toshiba, they have s**tload of pre-installed software that'll drive u crazy if u dont know much about computer.What's ur purpose and budget anyway?

Old 06-16-2006, 11:40 PM
HCF Member

Hey Mill$, this is what i do for a living. i Build and design custom computers and work at a local computer store. and my professional advice to you would be to only get a Toshiba, Acer or if money is no problem Sager or Falcon NorthWest. all other brands the quality just is not there.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:44 PM
HCF Member

If money is no problems I'd go Alienware

Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 PM
HCF Member

Alienware is good, but they overcharge. Sager uses almost the exact same parts only in a different case, same quality and performance abilities but at 1/2 the price

Quick Reply: which laptop is better? help...