The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Look what I dug up

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Default Look what I dug up

RANKINGS
The rankings of the major automakers and of specific brands in J.D. Power and Associates' annual initial quality survey, which is based on responses from more than 51,000 people who bought or leased new 2004 cars and trucks.
The survey is done in the first 90 days of ownership.
The figures represent the number of problems per 100 vehicles.

By manufacturer
Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. 101
American Honda Motor Co. 102
Hyundai Motor America 102
BMW of North America 116
INDUSTRY AVERAGE 119
General Motors Corp. 120
DaimlerChrysler 123
Subaru of America Inc. 123
Ford Motor Co. 127
Mitsubishi Motors North America 130
Volkswagen of America Inc. 141
Nissan North America 147
American Suzuki Motor Corp. 149
Kia Motors America 153
Porsche Cars North America Inc. 159

Old 12-03-2005, 10:59 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Look what I dug up

i would have thought mitsubishi and vw would have been lower in the rankings with all their quality control problems.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: drbyers

i would have thought mitsubishi and vw would have been lower in the rankings with all their quality control problems.
yep, I also thought that Gm was much closer to the bottom and nissan in #3 or 4 spot.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:05 PM
HCF Member

toyota at 1? no way. i know people who have almost died because they got in accedents in a new toyota fresh off the lot due to some sort of manufacturer flaw.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

I hate toyotas. But about GM, my teacher was sayin that the quality of GM cars right now is at the same level of toyota and honda but they have a terrible reputation of building crappy cars from the past. The results suprised me because even for the number one manufacture each car they sell has at least one problem(on average). I have a feeling im interpreting the data wrong. But if i am right, i think there is a problem when you can't make a cars that don't have problems.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:14 PM

I dunno. Toyotas are sonsidered to be the most reliable cars on the market. Their sales just speak for themselves.

toyota at 1? no way. i know people who have almost died because they got in accedents in a new toyota fresh off the lot due to some sort of manufacturer flaw.
That's a pretty vague thing to say. You could die in any car - it all depends on a nature of the accident as well as a number of other different variables. No car is 100% safe. Besides, a safe car does not equal the best car overall. As far as I know, Volvo makes the safest cars out there. However those cars are boring to drive and have questionable reliability

Old 12-03-2005, 12:20 PM

The only problem with a toyota is that they don't have anything appealing. corolla is pretty much in the same class as civic, but at the same time it's design cues are uglier and it's a boring car to drive. I'm also quite sure that toyota is leaps and bounds ahead of GM in all categories. here are some things to cinsider:

- American cars are all too often strangled by miserly development budgets (ever notice that the best concept cars are overwhelmingly from American car companies yet almost none of them see production in any form?)

- American car manufacturers sacrifice quality, both in materials and construction, for a low-ball price vs. their foreign competitors

- American car buyers have different wants/needs than their foreign counterparts (overall vehicle size and # of cup holders vs. quality and performance)

- Amrican car stylists have no sense of style compared to the Europeans or Japanese

Old 12-03-2005, 12:29 PM
HCF Member

I agree with you on toyota's design. All of their cars are very plain. They don't have any bold styles or anything that really looks good. Performance is almost unheard of. They have the MR2 but it really isn't that popular of a car (at least around here) I wouldn't even consider modding a corolla. Most people buy toyota because they are cheap and reliable, which is good if you want a daily driver but they really aren't fun to drive. My aunt has a corolla and i've driven it a couple of times and i can't stand it.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:33 PM

I was in a car accident a lil over two years ago, when the Scions first came out. My friend had JUST bought it brand new. We crashed at about 50mph, hit on the passenger side (where I was), spun out and slammed into 2 cement poles on the passenger side again. My head went through the passenger window from the second time we hit. I was in the hospital for days. IF the airbags werent faulty, they would have deployed from the first impact. I will NEVER buy a Toyota.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

i think they designed the new corrola to appeal to the tuner market a bit, when i first saw it advertised i was thinking that its going to big in the tuner maket because of the new shape of it..but iv noticed that its not big at all, alot of people just buy them for family cars..from people who have them iv heard that there not that bad at all tho, never actually got in or drove one before tho

Quick Reply: Look what I dug up