The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Lotus Elise

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Lotus Elise

ORIGINAL: sacicons

Im pretty confident I can hang with an Elise with a comparable driver.
ummmm, no...

the lotus corners over well over 1.0 g straight out of the box and holds slalom run records for several magazines.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:31 PM

...And you've never driven a GSR-swapped EK OR an Elise, so there's really no perspective. A 4G hatch with Tokicos, H&R springs, and 205's will pull in excess of 1G without breaking a sweat. As for the Elise holding records, the reason they don't test built Civics and such against those records is because those are for factory built automobiles.

ORIGINAL: LORDofdaRINGS

wheelbase,aerodynamics, weight, weight placment(motor), downforce(exige). ....all things that will be near impossible to change. even just that last 2 are clutch in the aspect of things.

not to mention the long list of other somewhat hard stuff you would have to pay to do..

you cant change a car that was built for transportation,into a car that can beat a car created for pure performance. theres just to much that needed to be done from scratch.
And this is just ignorant.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:33 PM

Sorry, that all came off pretty harsh. I'm not trying to insult anyone here; just speaking my mind.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:30 PM
HCF Member

I am all about building your car be it a F-Body, Civic, Toyota, or anything else but a civic will never be in the same performance cat. as an Elise on everything. Your talking a sub 2000lb car ment to do what it does. You can add a couple $100 to a couple thousand to a civic and sure it will keep up on certain parts of a track but it will never have the balance of a car like the Elise. For one thing the civic is FWD, I am not going to draw out a long post on why a fwd car will never be a on par with rwd but it is true. You can only gather so much performance in a FWD chassis before it hits a brick wall so to speak. This is why any major race team do not choose fwd platforms. Another thing is the wheelbase, the Elise has it wheels shoved out to the corners as far as they can(think F1 car with fenders) as Pontiac said in those tv spots in the late 90's wider is better in this case atleast. Lotus had been all but forgotten for what it has done in the past before the Elise. Alot looked at Lotus and thought Esprit which is a cool car but on the whole life life of the car maker represents a rather heavy and clumsy model compared to Lotus's past.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:28 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

...And you've never driven a GSR-swapped EK OR an Elise, so there's really no perspective. A 4G hatch with Tokicos, H&R springs, and 205's will pull in excess of 1G without breaking a sweat. As for the Elise holding records, the reason they don't test built Civics and such against those records is because those are for factory built automobiles.

wheelbase,aerodynamics, weight, weight placment(motor), downforce(exige). ....all things that will be near impossible to change. even just that last 2 are clutch in the aspect of things.

not to mention the long list of other somewhat hard stuff you would have to pay to do..

you cant change a car that was built for transportation,into a car that can beat a car created for pure performance. theres just to much that needed to be done from scratch.
And this is just ignorant.
how is that ignorant? its the truth.

Old 03-04-2006, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

And the elise has a mid mounted engine, near perfect weight distribution, and so so very lowwwww. Ive ridden in a couple and driven one breifly, its a fantastic near perfect machine, think Id still rather have an Atom though.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:02 PM

how is that ignorant? its the truth.
That was actually mostly directed at the last couple sentences, which are, in fact, not true.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:44 PM
HCF Member

...And you've never driven a GSR-swapped EK OR an Elise,

what does the GSR-engine have to do with the handling of an EK, which I HAVE driven. and you've never driven an Elise, yourself, so would you know what your'e talkin' about?

and my answer is still: "Um, nooo..."

just speaking my mind. lol.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:51 PM

I never made any claim in any form whatsoever that I have driven an Elise, so please don't try and stick me with that.

Yes, a stock Elise will out-handle a stock EK, but getting into an Elise does not automatically teach you to drive well. And my statement about the GSR swap was more related to [fairly] straight line performance.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:05 PM
HCF Member

Sorry bro your wrong, show me a stock gsr swapped ek run 13 flat at over 100mph and I will eat my words. A ek coupe is anywhere from 2300 to 2600lbs, a 96-00 sedan 2300 to 2600lbs, a ek hatch 2250 to 2350lbs. Add that a GSR swap is about 50lbs heavier than a d series and the fact that the Lotus is roughly 2020lbs and there is no way.

Quick Reply: Lotus Elise