The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

My buddy's new car

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Default My buddy's new car

My friend just bought a used P71 Crown Vic. It's got a 4.6l V8 and all of the Po-leece package suspension bits. It came with factory tinted windows and a big empty spot where the center console used to be.

Now, I've heard people describe these cars as being more like boats than cars, but having ridden in this car (and driven it) I think that I've come up with slightly better description.

First of all, let me say that this car makes an insane amount of power. I mean, without even noticing it, you find yourself just charging down the street at 50 in a 20 zone. The engine in that car is f--king galactic, really. But at no point do you really get the sense of the power that you're weilding with this car. That is, even with the police package set up, there's no driver-to-car connection. There's no feedback through the brakes, suspension, or steering. There's nothing about this car that's tight. More than a boat, it's like driving a huge, fast, powerful sofa made of tapioca. It's a pudding-mobile that'll leave thick black patches from burning out until the crude late-90s era traction control kicks in. It's almost not like driving, really. With the windows up, it's as quiet as a tomb. Not even the engine noise penetrates through to the cabin and going over surfaces like train-tracks and cobble stones don't effect the ride quality at all. It's like sitting in your living room and going really fast. But with all of this power, there's absolutely no pretense of sportiness whatsoever. When I steered (if you could even call it that) around a curve, I had to reach out of the open window and grab a handfull of the doorframe to keep from falling out of my luxuriously upholstered and broken-in LaZboy of a drivers-seat.
But, being in a city where their idea of urban planning almost seems to include potholes and even sinkholes in most of the public roads, it's just an amazing change of experience to be able to barrel down the street without having to slow down or bottom out the car. It's like driving a hovercraft with a rocket attached to it.
The whole car is just so mushy, soft, vague, and bland. But at the same time, it's just so goddamn enjoyable! It's like a bucket of circus peanuts or cotton candy or something!

All in all, I have to say, this car is a huge amount of fun and, if you can get your hands on one, I'd suggest that you buy it without a second though. Most of them have seen a lot of hard work, as used cop cars, and most of them are available at under $5000. But, even with 80k-90k miles, they've got a lot of life left in them. They're some long-lasting cheep speed and the novelty of a car like that is nearly priceless. Also, people slow down on the highway when they see your car!

Old 06-16-2006, 12:20 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: My buddy's new car

^ LOL..very funny description.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:39 PM
HCF Member

we have a poet on this forum?

Old 06-16-2006, 02:18 PM

Question is were you ridin dirty in the Crown Vic?....... Nice Review. HAHAHA!

Old 06-17-2006, 02:01 AM

nice description...it made me laugh...

Old 06-17-2006, 03:27 AM

damn did i need that laugh. and sometimes i slow down when i see the mercury equivelant.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:59 AM
HCF Member

my best friends mom had a crown vic not to long ago. and we come of this road near my house and a redneck in this huge truck went speeding by us (this was at night). so we decide to speed up with him and tail for quite some time. he finally sees us in his rear view mirror and slows way the hell down. all of a sudden with out a turn signal he turns off on some back road. it was really funny to see him do that.
________
Coach Purses

Last edited by BrianT; 04-28-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:23 AM

I've been driving that car a little more and I think I've come up with a pretty good description of the steering. I had a hard time pinning it down before but I've got it now.

You don't steer this car. You pour it. You pour it around a corner, into a parking space, and onto an exit ramp like handfulls of mayonaise.
I mean, when I say, "steer," that implies a certain sharpness and responsiveness that even an aircraft carrier can achieve. But this isn't even like boat steering. The car has so much momentum and is so numbly fluid in all of its handling that pointing it in a direction is more like pouring maple syrup than it is propper steering.

Personally, I think the car is absolutely sheer brilliance. To imagine this car and then go ahead and create it is just stunning. At least a Lambo makes some sense, like: "Lets make a hugely fast car! It'll take 90 degree corners like it's nothing and it'll be sharp and sleek and fantastic in every way!" There's a logic at work there.
But the Crown Vic really goes against that grain, like: "Let's make a hugely fast car! It'll be like covering your body in novacaine and mounting your waterbed to a rocketship!" Unlike the logic that's apparent in a super car or a muscle car, the Vic displays some sort of surrealism. You know, like when you have a dream about driving.

Really, I've never felt more invincible than in that car.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:35 AM

What year Vic is it? The Crown Vic has always been known for its poor steering feel. My first car was a 92 CVPI and there was definly a lot of play in the steering wheel. i took it to get looked at to see if there was something wrong, my uncle told me thats they way all of them drive. Its just the way it is.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:16 PM

American cars have been described as '50,000 loose parts flying in formation' . I think that's what you are trying to say.

Quick Reply: My buddy's new car