HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/lounge-71/)
-   -   Need help with buying a new computer (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/lounge-71/need-help-buying-new-computer-30507/)

Talon585 10-10-2006 06:08 AM

Need help with buying a new computer

Well in about a month me and two of my buddies will be moving into our own place:D. I told them that I would buy a computer that can game as soon as we move in. I haven't been keeping up to date with new computer technology in about two years. About 4 years back I used to work for a computer repair/sales business so I'm not a idiot when it comes to computers but I can not build a computer from scratch and I dont feel like trying. Ive been looking through Dells website and I'm liking how you can customize your computer how u want it. Anybody have any other places or online sites I should look into or specific parts? I'll take any kind of help. BTW what is the difference between the Pentium D and the Intel Duo processors? Those Duo's cost a freaking arm and a leg.

Edit: im looking to spend about 1000. Im a little flexible though.

Fiirkan 10-10-2006 06:54 AM

RE: Need help with buying a new computer

DONT GET A DELL!!!!!!!!111!!!1111!11!!!1!oneoneoneone. if you want an affordable reliable computer, build it your self trust me on this one. but if you relly want to buy a premade computer checkout Falcon northwest or Alienware they may both be a little pricy but are deffinately worth it cause they use high quality parts.. and like with cars. you get what you pay for

Neon 10-10-2006 08:58 AM

It's really easy to build your own, I built my own and spent around 960 bucks. I bought all my stuff from http://www.newegg.com. I wouldn't buy any of the new Intel processors until their prices come down. I bought an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ for my computer and it works just fine.

My04Civic 10-10-2006 09:04 AM

yeah but if you dont want to build your own...Alienware makes GREAT gaming computers...look into them

and the pentium DUOS are 2 processors...thats why!

AgentofDarkness 10-10-2006 09:12 AM

Pentium Duos aren't really 2 processors, they have like 2 pipelines. You can buy mother boards that can support 2(or 4) physical processors (my old computer had this). DO NOT BUY Alienware. At least Dell has good deals, Alienware just ass rapes you. $3000 for a gaming computer is too much. The real prob with Dell is that they have almost 0 upgradability. My buddy just got a dell for like 600 (i think) but it can't be upgraded at all. You are stuck with the built in video card, only 2 RAM slots. You can hook up another hard drive and a couple PCI adapter but thats about it. For a good computer ur gonna have to for a XPS which is well over $1000 i believe. You have $1000, that is more than enough to build a kick ass gaming computer. It is not that hard!!!!! I built a computer for a buddy of mine. Honestly, the hardest part is putting the motherboard onto the case. The rest is hooking up wires. If your really uncomfortable with building it yourself, find a friend that knows how to (offer to fix his car or something). I dunno if Pentium 4s are obselete now, but back when i was really into computers the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition was the **** for gaming computers.

Dogmeat 10-10-2006 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

DONT GET A DELL!!!!!!!!111!!!1111!11!!!1!oneoneoneone. if you want an affordable reliable computer, build it your self trust me on this one. but if you relly want to buy a premade computer checkout Falcon northwest or Alienware they may both be a little pricy but are deffinately worth it cause they use high quality parts.. and like with cars. you get what you pay for

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness
The real prob with Dell is that they have almost 0 upgradability. My buddy just got a dell for like 600 (i think) but it can't be upgraded at all. You are stuck with the built in video card, only 2 RAM slots. You can hook up another hard drive and a couple PCI adapter but thats about it.
Why do most people say this????...they are upgradable and all computer MOBOs from 2000-2005 all suffer from the "bad capacitor" syndrom. ANY computer may or may not belly up do to low quality parts...I bought a refurbed DELL for $400.00...dropped in two new HDs, a name brand video card and 2GB name brand ram. That thing BLAZES...no issues...major Graphics and CAD without fail. ~$$1300.
$1000.00 budget?? do you have a Monitor or do you need a complete setup??

NewEgg
^FTW

My04Civic 10-10-2006 09:30 AM

AOD relax...i didnt say alienware was cheap...he said he wanted a gaming computer...i told him a good one. also, i havent tried one yet, but i hear that dell XPS is pretty good. hey, dont take my word for it, i only do this for a living ;) AOD...you might too...please dont take offense...i dont mean to sound like a smartass

StifflersMom 10-10-2006 09:52 AM

Listen to the person who worked for dell: Only buy dell if you're buying a laptop and you're buying they 4year warranty with accident protection. Otherwise they're the modern day compaq. Build a desktop yourself. It's easy and cheaper than anything else.

Talon585 10-10-2006 11:17 AM

Ok for one I dont really want to even try to build my own computer at least not at the moment. I want a system that I can fire right up as soon as I open the box. I would have my friends that build computers help me but in all honesty I think I can build one better than them. Every single computer they built is always buggy and glitchy. The only reason I suggested Dell was because you can get a credit card through them and then buy the computer on the same card. I dont have any money saved up for the computer, thats what credit is for;). BTW I do need a complete system, the monitor I have had one of the color pins burnt out.

My04Civic 10-10-2006 12:14 PM

Vicious PC's go there...there are a few NICE ones
or any of these: Velocity