The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Need help with buying a new computer

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 AM
Default Need help with buying a new computer

Well in about a month me and two of my buddies will be moving into our own place. I told them that I would buy a computer that can game as soon as we move in. I haven't been keeping up to date with new computer technology in about two years. About 4 years back I used to work for a computer repair/sales business so I'm not a idiot when it comes to computers but I can not build a computer from scratch and I dont feel like trying. Ive been looking through Dells website and I'm liking how you can customize your computer how u want it. Anybody have any other places or online sites I should look into or specific parts? I'll take any kind of help. BTW what is the difference between the Pentium D and the Intel Duo processors? Those Duo's cost a freaking arm and a leg.

Edit: im looking to spend about 1000. Im a little flexible though.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:54 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need help with buying a new computer

DONT GET A DELL!!!!!!!!111!!!1111!11!!!1!oneoneoneone. if you want an affordable reliable computer, build it your self trust me on this one. but if you relly want to buy a premade computer checkout Falcon northwest or Alienware they may both be a little pricy but are deffinately worth it cause they use high quality parts.. and like with cars. you get what you pay for

Old 10-10-2006, 08:58 AM

It's really easy to build your own, I built my own and spent around 960 bucks. I bought all my stuff from http://www.newegg.com. I wouldn't buy any of the new Intel processors until their prices come down. I bought an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ for my computer and it works just fine.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator

yeah but if you dont want to build your own...Alienware makes GREAT gaming computers...look into them

and the pentium DUOS are 2 processors...thats why!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:12 AM
HCF Member

Pentium Duos aren't really 2 processors, they have like 2 pipelines. You can buy mother boards that can support 2(or 4) physical processors (my old computer had this). DO NOT BUY Alienware. At least Dell has good deals, Alienware just *** rapes you. $3000 for a gaming computer is too much. The real prob with Dell is that they have almost 0 upgradability. My buddy just got a dell for like 600 (i think) but it can't be upgraded at all. You are stuck with the built in video card, only 2 RAM slots. You can hook up another hard drive and a couple PCI adapter but thats about it. For a good computer ur gonna have to for a XPS which is well over $1000 i believe. You have $1000, that is more than enough to build a kick *** gaming computer. It is not that hard!!!!! I built a computer for a buddy of mine. Honestly, the hardest part is putting the motherboard onto the case. The rest is hooking up wires. If your really uncomfortable with building it yourself, find a friend that knows how to (offer to fix his car or something). I dunno if Pentium 4s are obselete now, but back when i was really into computers the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition was the **** for gaming computers.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

DONT GET A DELL!!!!!!!!111!!!1111!11!!!1!oneoneoneone. if you want an affordable reliable computer, build it your self trust me on this one. but if you relly want to buy a premade computer checkout Falcon northwest or Alienware they may both be a little pricy but are deffinately worth it cause they use high quality parts.. and like with cars. you get what you pay for
ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness
The real prob with Dell is that they have almost 0 upgradability. My buddy just got a dell for like 600 (i think) but it can't be upgraded at all. You are stuck with the built in video card, only 2 RAM slots. You can hook up another hard drive and a couple PCI adapter but thats about it.
Why do most people say this????...they are upgradable and all computer MOBOs from 2000-2005 all suffer from the "bad capacitor" syndrom. ANY computer may or may not belly up do to low quality parts...I bought a refurbed DELL for $400.00...dropped in two new HDs, a name brand video card and 2GB name brand ram. That thing BLAZES...no issues...major Graphics and CAD without fail. ~$$1300.
$1000.00 budget?? do you have a Monitor or do you need a complete setup??

NewEgg
^FTW

Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator

AOD relax...i didnt say alienware was cheap...he said he wanted a gaming computer...i told him a good one. also, i havent tried one yet, but i hear that dell XPS is pretty good. hey, dont take my word for it, i only do this for a living AOD...you might too...please dont take offense...i dont mean to sound like a smartass

Old 10-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Cat Fuсker

Listen to the person who worked for dell: Only buy dell if you're buying a laptop and you're buying they 4year warranty with accident protection. Otherwise they're the modern day compaq. Build a desktop yourself. It's easy and cheaper than anything else.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:17 AM

Ok for one I dont really want to even try to build my own computer at least not at the moment. I want a system that I can fire right up as soon as I open the box. I would have my friends that build computers help me but in all honesty I think I can build one better than them. Every single computer they built is always buggy and glitchy. The only reason I suggested Dell was because you can get a credit card through them and then buy the computer on the same card. I dont have any money saved up for the computer, thats what credit is for. BTW I do need a complete system, the monitor I have had one of the color pins burnt out.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Vicious PC's go there...there are a few NICE ones
or any of these: Velocity

Quick Reply: Need help with buying a new computer