The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

new job interview... i cannt wait ;)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

Good luck with the job man...

...just a suggestion, for what it's worth... I would try to give your current employer 2 weeks notice if you possibly can. I mean, if they want you to start TOMORROW and there's no option then there's not much you can do, but if you do have the choice, I'd hold off for a couple weeks... It:

a) shows respect for your current employer. (I know that you don't particularly like it there, but you never know when a good reference comes in handy down the road...) It's always good to avoid burning bridges in employment where possible. PLUS, if you got canned you'd expect two weeks pay, it's nice to show them the same respect.

b) shows your NEW employer that you're a respectful guy. Like I said above, the exception is when they need you to start RIGHT AWAY, but if they offer you the job and you say: "I'd like to give my current employer two weeks' notice - can I start in a couple weeks?", they're going to think that you're a stand-up dude. Can't hurt, right?

Just my $0.02, but like I said before - good luck!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well at most id say 1 week.... ive already requested next week off from my current job to hopefully cash in at least some of my PTO time. i wanted to turn that in ASAP and after i get that week ill ask for a second week for my PTO time for (personal reasons)
i want to get my PTO money since i have earned it for my 8years of service at that location. i would have cashed it all out BUT the new company treats of america does not let you cash out. they say i have to take it as PTO.
it probably would take a week or two before i could start the new job since im sure they would have to run drug test at least, which i have always been a good little boy so never a problem in that areas!!!!!!!
only thing im my body is caffeine and cholesterol.LOL i love my pepsi most the day and bacon for breakfast

and plus at my work a girl just started back again so they do have a extra person and also another girl at work has already said she would like my spot.LOL so no problem for them to fill my spot without problems.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:10 PM
HCF Member

Is that a picture of your car on the camera? if so thats soooo cool. But yeah buttoned up all the way is the proffesional way

Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by PirateX
Good luck with the job man...

...just a suggestion, for what it's worth... I would try to give your current employer 2 weeks notice if you possibly can. I mean, if they want you to start TOMORROW and there's no option then there's not much you can do, but if you do have the choice, I'd hold off for a couple weeks... It:

a) shows respect for your current employer. (I know that you don't particularly like it there, but you never know when a good reference comes in handy down the road...) It's always good to avoid burning bridges in employment where possible. PLUS, if you got canned you'd expect two weeks pay, it's nice to show them the same respect.

b) shows your NEW employer that you're a respectful guy. Like I said above, the exception is when they need you to start RIGHT AWAY, but if they offer you the job and you say: "I'd like to give my current employer two weeks' notice - can I start in a couple weeks?", they're going to think that you're a stand-up dude. Can't hurt, right?

Just my $0.02, but like I said before - good luck!
PirateX offers some really good advice. I'd recommend following as much as possible.

The shirt you are wearing in the picture is okay. However, for a job interview, a nice conventional dress shirt would probably be more appropriate.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Snail'n Admin

Hes right. Even when i applied at Honda for express work I wore a suit. Anytime you can make an impression do it, no matter how stupid it may sound

Old 09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i dont see wearing a suit.LOL
its a city street job. chippen tree limbs and street signs and junk. not a desk job... that would be like wearing a suit to cook fries at MCDs LOL

the place im going to doesnt even look like a office. more less a garage where they keep all there equipment.

they told me only thing id have to buy for thee job is work boots since they give me 10pairs of paints and shirts for work so thats great!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I understand your points. I could imagine you being over dressed for this type of interview. But at the same time, what you ultimately decide to wear is an important indicator of how serious you are about getting the job. The job seems very important to you, so I just thought wearing a bit more formal dress shirt might better reflect this statement.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

for my first job i wore a nice dress shirt and pants, and a tie. ( i applied at a grocery store)

Old 09-09-2008, 06:33 AM
HCF Member

I used to work at a porsche dealership and I applied in a suit and tie, I was hired on the spot. My (former) boss made the comment about how I was prolly the best/over dressed applicant he'd ever interviewed but he also said that it showed him that I was serious about getting the job and was professional and neat.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Good Luck! Maybe you could spend some of that "extra mod money" on getting outta your parents basement!

Quick Reply: new job interview... i cannt wait ;)