The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

New scam or what?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Default New scam or what?!?!

anyone recall my last post about craigslist? well i just posted an ad just a couple days ago and about 4 a day im getting emails. now they have the same format and almost look exactly alike with the ones with people trying to send you a fake check. but this is what im confused about i have people trying to send me a check or pay with paypal, but all they say is "or pay you online, whats your paypal ID" well my whole thing is do you guys think they could hack my account if i gave em my id to send it to?. get back to me on what you guys think bout that

Old 03-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: New scam or what?!?!

i dont think they could hack your paypal account unless your password is really easy... BUT if you think its a scam and you get a email THAT LOOKS like its from paypal to follow a link and log on info then thats a scam to get into your paypal account.... NEVER FOLLOW A PAYPAL LINK from emails. ALWAYS go to your web adress and type out www.paypal.com and be sure to check the web adress after ya enter it... to ensure its real! otherwise you could be riped off....

that paypal link scam has been around for along time. just be smart about following links to paypal and youll be fine.
but if your really scared about geting scammed to LOCAL PICKUP CASH ONLY... thats never failed me yet.LOL

Old 03-01-2008, 07:17 AM

yeah i didnt even know about that one (following a link) not even thinking i prolly would have clicked the link hahathanks man!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Cat Fuсker

in IE7 the address bar lights up green when you're at paypal's site and red if you're at a phishing site. It's not foolproof, but it's one more line of defence.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:24 PM
HCF Member

Deal only in cash.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Cat Fuсker

ORIGINAL: Masonn

Deal only in cash.

and be stuck in a stoneage...

Old 03-01-2008, 03:42 PM
HCF Member

haha

Old 03-01-2008, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

Whats wrong with dealing in cash?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

cash is best. if local but if you do get paypal pull it out quickly and if you ship something be sure to keep proof of shipment.

unfortuantly paypal is probably best for online buying BUT you can still get scammed!
i just got scammed outta 60bucks on a old truck forum i used to be on for a backup camera and monitor! he also screwed another member on that site for 40bucks for a cb radio. i filed with paypal as soon as i thought it was a problem WHEN HE SAID I GOT A FRIEND at the post office..... red flag right away so i filled a claim thru paypal instantly BUT he already removed the cash from his paypal account. but at least his paypal account is frozen at least and he only scammed 100bucks.
but i do have his adress, phone number and full name. thank you INTERNET WHITE PAGES
tho a 20hour drive is abit much to go whoop this guys ***! so i might have to just hurrase call him over and over and over... one good thing about having a old prepaid phone card.LOL at least i can scare the bastard since i know where he lives and his parents live! hahahhahha