The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

No replacment for displacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 03:10 AM
Default No replacment for displacement?

Today im outside talking with my dad and he is working on his car ( 94 Z28) and since ive bought my car and told him what i have planned for it and he keeps saying, " you know son, my dad told me something that i know is to be true, there is no replacement for displacement". Now i could see his point but with the performance of the new Si, if you strapped a turbo to it (no more then 5 lbs of boost) it would smoke the hell out of most V8's correct, hell im sure the Si stock wouldnt beat a camero of that gen but i dont think it would get its @ss haded to it either. What do you all think of that saying?

Old 03-29-2006, 03:57 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: No replacment for displacement?

Define most V8's. Your dad is correct in alot of ways, I am not downing honda's or imports but mod for mod your dads car will beat the **** out of 98% of mainstream imports. Also I have a 94 Formula M6(6 speed) and it has a intake and a catback and I will without a doubt rape a new SI.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 AM
HCF Member

BTW welcome to the forum, please do not let this post drive you off as I am just being honest.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:07 AM
HCF Member

May I??

"Yes, there is a replacement for displacement. It's called Volumetric Efficiency."

-Sacicons

Old 03-29-2006, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

^ you beat me to it[:@]

Old 03-29-2006, 09:49 AM
HCF Member

you can of course boost, but that will only get you close to a V8... let the V8 go mod for mod and it wont even be a race. It all comes down to displacment in the end. After all the tuning and modding the car with the most displacment will have the edge.

On a civc (or Corolla in my case) we have to do just about everything... my friends Firebird with only a procharger (superchrager) and an exhaust put down 534hp to the wheels. in order for a civic to reach that you will need alot more than that. Im talking head swap, pistons, WI, cams, the list goes on and on. A boosted 4-banger can definately be quicker than a V8 if modded right, but mod for mod we dont stand a chance.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 AM

For the most part that saying is true. 1.8 > 1.6 .... 2.0 > 1.8.... Given that all those engines are Vtec the 2.0L Vtec would be the best engine.... In fact my friend oh here SpoonEG has a 2.0 B18C5 cant get a much better honda engine than that.

Berz out.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:55 AM
HCF Member

Back in the good ole days with the V8 muscle cars, there really was no replacement for displacement. Today we have fuel injection and computer controlled engines. You can make a smaller engine make large amounts of power but it will take quite a bit of work and mods to do it. A V8 will be able to make a lot more power a lot easier.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:58 AM

All I have to say is look at the new Cobra Mustang.... Its got the same technology as our hondas... Quad overhead cam V8. Its got more than 2 honda engines with the same style of engine and they push 600-700whp with minor mods.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:30 AM
HCF Member

I was told to ask questions, so here it goes...

Could someone explain to me what displacement is, why there is no replacement for it, and also, volumetric efficency is?

<---- Newblet

Thanks!

Quick Reply: No replacment for displacement?