The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

PLEASE HELP! How do I overcome procrastination?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:32 PM
HCF Member
Default PLEASE HELP! How do I overcome procrastination?

So I am in college and i have tons of hw. I really need to do well in my studies. All week I tell myself, "oh saturday ill wake up nice and early get lots of work done, and sunday too" but it never happens. I cannot seem get of procrastination and i should be either doing hw or reading the textbook or staying ahead.

Any advice how to fight procrastination? Becuase once i hit the books then i have no problem studying for hours

Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: PLEASE HELP! How do I overcome procrastination?

I had the same problem in school-still do now. I have to make lists because if I look at the project as a whole picture, I get overwhelmed and want nothing to do with it. Breaking it down into manageable chunks helps a lot. Also, you can assign yourself one chunk a day which will help to keep the last minute rush to get everything done manageable as well.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:07 PM
HCF Member

as soon as you get an assignment. do it.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

I have the same problem, but I have found that if I force myself to do it the day i get the assignment I can keep up and I generally get better marks than when I put it off. So next time you think to put it off until the weekend you just need to tell yourself no and start the work.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:35 PM
HCF Member

Here is how it usually do it. For some assignments, I know that it will be do the same day every week. Like for one of my classes, I have a lab on Tuesday and I need to do a lab report for that class. I start the lab report on Thursday and finish on Monday. For other homework assignments, I try to do it over a couple days. If I have an assignment due on Wed, I will do some on Fri/Sat and then finish it Mon/Tues. I know I'm not going to want to do it in one sitting so I do it over a couple days. For exams, I study in the library every day for 5-7 during weeks I have exams (like this week). It helps me because if I try to study at home, I won't get any studying done at all. If I'm at the library, I will study for two hours straight and get prepared. I also study over a week, and don't leave everything to the day before. Like I have an exam Friday so I will be studying Mon-Thurs for it. If you live on campus, make use of the library. If you're like me, studying in your room will not do anything as there are too many distractions. There aren't too many distractions in the library (especially the corner i study in) and you can get alot done in a small amount of time. I don't even live on campus so I stay as late as I can (7PM) and commute back home. It just takes some self discipline to pry yourself away from everything else and get your school work done. Like today I didn't get too much done because I was watching TV most of the day but its OK I guess because I did get quite a bit done yesterday. One more thing, weekends really aren't too good for me. I'm not really in a time crunch on the weekends so I find that I sit around and waste alot of time. I usually get most of my work done during weekdays because smaller amount of time forces me to get down to buisness.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM

Unplugyour Internet cable.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:05 PM
HCF Member

I wish i coulld give you some advice but i too suffer from procrastination. it is a terrible thing.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 AM
HCF Member

I know the secret for getting over procrastination but i'm too lazy right now and will tell you later

Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 AM
HCF Member

Get off HCF?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

just worry about it later

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! How do I overcome procrastination?