The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

popups!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 01:52 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: popups!!!

ORIGINAL: my05civic

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

you'll be asked to restart firefox. once you do that, it'll ask you to "subscribe" to a list that is constantly being updated with new ad images and banner addresses. choose the US list and you're set to go

never new about that......that works great.....kinda cool being on hcf without ads!

Old 09-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Super Cereal Admin

^ yeah, same here (I just subscribed to it)... anyway, it's been like 10 minutes with no popups (after going through like 10 different things to remove spyware and stuff)... hopefully, they're gone for good *knock on wood*

Old 09-15-2007, 07:00 PM

that sucks. i have NORTON security, what came with my computer, and i never get popups

Old 09-15-2007, 09:31 PM
HCF Member

People are still getting popups? just install a good popup blocker, and get firefox, and you wont worry about popups anymore.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:16 AM
HCF Member

I dont get popups or anything on HCF. Get Macafee for a virus protector, and Ad-aware for spyware and adware removal. Trust me, I used to mess with viruses and experiment with them when I was little, used to save them on floppies

Old 09-17-2007, 05:31 AM
Super Cereal Admin

well, I finally have the problem resolved... even with firefox, they were coming through. Then, I noticed that before the popups load, the headline for them is "advertisement from outerinfo" and other companies/whatevers like outerinfo. So I went to the add or remove programs thing and looked for outerinfo... sure enough, there it was. So, I removed pretty much anything that looked like an advertisement program. So far, I haven't had any problems with anything since I've deleted it. So, no more popups, w00t!!!

I'm just kind of wondering why those programs didn't show up on my spyware/virus scans.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 PM
HCF Member

Heres what you do I and I do this to every computer I fix:

Download and Install:

Lavasoft Ad-Aware.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
If possible go and get the plus version *cough*torrent*cough. It's well worth it.

Avast Virus Scanner
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
This thing is amazing and have and will always use it forever. Its free and you just have to register for a one year key then after that just apply for another one. Easy to use and everything is automatic.

Restart your computer and let the scan go before you log in. Should help you.

Oh and antoher thing... DOn't use IE. Thats how your problem began.