The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Question for those college students

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Default RE: Question for those college students

As long as you're above 3.0 you're good to go. Only your first semester, don't worry about it too much.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

2.94 isn't too bad, it could be much worse. With that said, its not good either. I don't know about you, but I always try to do the best I can. I don't see why you should have less than a 3.0 (you are really close to that). Its your first year so you need to do as well as you can. 100 level classes are usually pretty easy, they just require some effort. Doing well in these classes will help you keep your GPA high when you take higher level courses where it will be much harder to get a good grade. You should look at the semester and see how you can improve and do even better next semester to compensate for your bad semester. As far as if your GPA matters, it depends on the program. If you are going for something that is very competitive, your GPA is very important. An example is a professional school (medicine, law, pharm, etc) or graduate school. In this case you have to have a good GPA to get in, the bare min will not be enough.I'm not sure how law enforcement schools are but if they look at your GPA and test scores, a higher GPA will make you look much better against other applicants. You should keep your head up, you had a bad semester and all of us do. Work harder next semester and do much better.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:15 AM
formerly aryiman98civic

i remember i got a 2.8 my first semester and now im at a 3.4 so there is no need to get worried. just try harder next semester. i found out this semester was my best one ever and it was with my major classes.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

Yeah...Your first semster in college is suppose to be your hardest..becuz your gettin use to all the freedom and everything...

I just got done with my first semster and i played a sport too....It was really hard..cuz i missed so many days becuz we had to travel for soccer....

But yeah the secound semster should be better....

Old 01-03-2008, 02:28 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: shellebelle

Lol, I had an Indian math teacher at the JC I went to and I didn't understand a word he said. I barely got a C in that class (in TRIG!).

whats funny is i am indian and my math teacher was indian and i still didnt know wtf he was saying

Old 01-03-2008, 02:30 PM
HCF Member

well thanks guys i feel a lot better, i jus feel like a put a loto f effort in and didnt get the grades i deserved, but wutever ima try harder this semester and see what happens

Old 01-03-2008, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

At my University it is very common to have a professor who does not speak english well. I go to a state school and the school doesn't really care about hiring competent/good professors.If you put a lot of effort and you feel you should have done better than you did, you might need to consider getting help outside of class. I see this kind of thing all the time with friends and classmates. I can see that someone is struggling with the material and they really need some help outside of class. I'm always willing to help friends and classmates if I can, but the key is that they have to ask. Thats is the key, especially when your professor cannot explain things well. If you are really struggling with something, you have to ask for help.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

^ quizzing my friend back and forth about the test is my absolute favorite way to study, and i learned this first semester of college with a guy thatl ives down the hall from my dorm room

Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

^ quizzing my friend back and forth about the test is my absolute favorite way to study, and i learned this first semester of college with a guy thatl ives down the hall from my dorm room
The best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else. Studying in groups helps alot actually (although I don't do it too often b/c of my schedule). Its helpful because if you don't understand something, someone in your group can explain it to you. Also, you get the oppurtunity to test your understanding. If can't explain it to someone else, then you don't understand it well enough.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 PM
HCF Member

Yeah^^^^ thats a really good way to learn...a lot of ppl at my college will go to the library and study together...or make study groups in the class.....

Quick Reply: Question for those college students