The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 PM
HCF Member
Default Scam?

So I currently own two electric guitars and recently posted one of them for sale on my local craigslist since I don't play it anymore and I have received a total of two emails that I think is a complete scam. Let me know what you think...

First E-mail
"Good day to you.I will like to know if this is still available..what is the last asking price and can i get more information about it.so kindly get back to me asap...
Thanks and God bless you.
Monica E. "

I reply answering these questions and

Second E-mail

"Hello ,
Thank you for the prompt response to my enquiry am quite satisfied with the condition of the item and price.Am very much interested in buying the item from you and i would like to make an outright purchase immediately so i will advice that you withdraw the advert from the web.I will be paying with a Certified Check.Further more my mover will be coming over for the pick up as i might not be available for the pick up myself i would have love to come and look it up but presently am not chance to do that due to my work but am OK with the information from the ad.I will need the following details to make payment arrangement

1,Your full name to be on the Payment..
2,Your address.(Not P.O.Box)
3,Your phone number ..
4,Your Zip code.
5, Final Price.

Get me the following information as soon as possible.
Thank so much and God bless you as you help

Best Regards.
Monica E. "

I reply saying the guitar will not leave my possession until I have the money in my account if that's how they want to pay and have not received a reply for three days lol.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

both scams! they mention nothing of the actual guitars just label everything as "items" which is a dead give away craigslist i would always deal with cash and bring a friend if you do meat up

Old 07-17-2009, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

I was thinking it was because they are so bland when it comes to buying the guitar. I always bring a friend and only told them i would except that kind of payment to see where this would go. But I would never give them my information. lol

Old 07-17-2009, 01:19 PM

What kind of guitar are you selling?

Might be interested... if you can ship of course

Old 07-17-2009, 01:38 PM
HCF Member

Its nothing super special. I received it as a gift two years ago and It was purchased at a guitar store for $550 and I know that since I got to pick it out. It's a Gretsch Electromatic and I was never told the exact model number but it looks like a Gibson Les Paul but takes after a Gretsch Pro Jet which retail around $600. It has always been missing the pick guard but that is no big deal. Sounds great, straight neck, and it has slight buckle rash but nothing that ruins the finish. I have one picture now and i can post some more later today. I'm asking $200 depending on what you think it's worth. There is nothing wrong with it, I would rather that someone else get the use out of it instead of it sitting in a corner.

Name:  3n53me3pdZZZZZZZZZ97704fc4716249f1a.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  5.5 KB

Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

yup your right complete scams. want to know what would happen if you give them the info? they send you a check of $4900 for something that is $50. Lol, don't ask me how i know

Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 PM

Nice, not really what I'm looking for though. Thanks anyway

Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Nice, not really what I'm looking for though. Thanks anyway
Welcome!

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
yup your right complete scams. want to know what would happen if you give them the info? they send you a check of $4900 for something that is $50. Lol, don't ask me how i know
Wait they send you a check for $4900?
How does that end up hurting you? lol

Old 07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
HCF Member

it was fake checks but they look real, it was immediately after i emailed them the info that i realize it was scam. LOL it was the exact info they needed that they emailed you for. So i ignored his email and he sent me 2 more after that and all these checks were shipped by UPS and FEDEX.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lewy2k
Wait they send you a check for $4900?
How does that end up hurting you? lol
What happens is they ask if they can send you a check for $____ (always way more than the "item" is worth). They want you to cash the check and give them the change and the item.

Problem is, it's a fake check. You cash the check and the bank doesn't realize it's fake for a few days. Meanwhile, you have already sent him the change and the item. Then the bank tells you it's fake... well now you owe the bank $____, and the guy who scammed you has the real cash (the change you sent him) and your item.

Quick Reply: Scam?