The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Street Bikes FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Default Street Bikes FTW!

I figured I would make a seperate thread to speak about super sport or street bikes. I currently own an 06 Yamaha R6 and love her to death! My first bike was a 97 YZF750, then an 03 R6 and now of course, my current bike.

Ive been riding for about 6 years now and cant seem to get enough of it. Once I hit the age of 23 (4 months) Im planning to purchase the new Ducati 1098 and trading in my R6 for the 05 R1 (I like the older body style better).

If anyone else rides, I would love to hear about it!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:55 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Street Bikes FTW!

Im planning on getting one this summer. Not sure what to get...any opinions? I had a yamaha ttr125 dirt bike and a Honda CR125 that was built and those were mighty fun.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 PM

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want speed in and out of turns, go for a super sport bike. The GSX-R's and R series Yammies are by the far the best, unless you can afford the italian bikes, such as Ducati or Aprillia. If you are looking for a daily cruiser for longer hauls, look into the sport touring bikes. I personally dont have the stomach for these. The body styles are just plain ugly. Keep in mind, any bike you get the insurance will be pretty high. Take the motorcycle safety course and it will knock off quite a bit.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
HCF Member

Yea i have been looking at gixxers for a while. What is the yamaha comparison to that? And how are CBR's?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:19 PM

GSX-R's and Yamaha R series are neck and neck. The Honda CBR's are alright bikes, but lack in the handling and speed that Suzuki and Yamaha provide. Honda created a super sport bike to increase their versatility...i.e trucks, cars, boats, etc.... I for one think they should've stopped at portable generators

Its all a preference though. A couple of friends I used to roll with back in AZ had some CBR's and they loved em!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:47 AM
HCF Member

For handling twisties, I'd go with a supermoto. Most are down on top speed for long straights though. I like the motards most because I can add offroad wheels and knobby tires for dirty weekend adventures.

I don't ride fast. I'm more of a cruiser/adventure person. I always have been. I'd rather have a nice Jeep than a nice muscle car. I'd rather have an EX sedan with a roofrack for surfboards than an Si hatch.

I rode little dirtbikes and ATVs as a kid. My first street-legal bike was a KZ440LTD...slower than a glacier. It was comfortable for cruising small highways across the country and got good mileage. My next bike was a GS850G, which was nice for long trips on faster highways. I MUCH preferred it over my stepdad's old Goldwing. He also had a Honda 450 that was a nice commuter, like my KZ. The bike I liked best for commuting was a Yamaha 600 radian though. It was unbelievably smooth, and had more than enough power for me without being insane at WOT.

My next bike will probably be a DR650, with a choice of motard tires and/or mods for dirt adventuring (DOT *****, cargo racks, offroad suspension, etc). I may go with a cruiser like the Boulevard S50 for when I want to ride strictly pavement. My gf wants to get an S40 for herself.

I'm not into the high-dollar bikes like Harley, Ducati, BMW, Husky, or KTM. I'd rather ride something reliable and cheap, so I can invest more and retire someplace nice while I'm still relatively young.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:11 AM
HCF Member

My boyfriend used to have a CBR something like 10 years ago (yeah, he's a bit older than me), then he had a '92 Gsx-R 750. He sold his gixxer back in May to help pay for his roof and siding he just had put on his house. He wants to either a new Gsx-R 600 or a Yamaha R-1....He's kind of thinking of not getting another bike now though, because he didn't really have a lot of time to ride before due to working Overtime and here in OH, there's only a few prime months for riding.......

I miss his bike though.

If I knew I wouldn't speed like a bat out of hell I would get a gixxer 600.......But knowing me, I would kill myself. He even told me, that if I got a bike, he would put a governer on it, just becuase he knows I'm a speed freak.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: SevenKRedline
Keep in mind, any bike you get the insurance will be pretty high.
Hmm? My car's insurance is literally double what I'm paying for my CBR (both have liability). Maybe it's just the area I live in.

And Billy, I absolutely love my F4i. The thing is an absolute blast to ride, and they can take one hell of a beating (ever wonder why most stunters use CBRs? ). I plan on getting another one (probably an RR though) after college... it's a shame I have to sell my F4i, but I really want an RSX lol

Old 01-20-2008, 11:05 AM
HCF Member

The 07 600RR is the best 600CC sport bikes on the market right now(all the bike mags wrote that in the summer). I don't know what your talking about when you said Honda should have stopped at generators. Honda's first product was a motorcycle. Honda is a world's #1 selling motorcycle company. They have been making bikes forever and they are damn good at it. I'm not a fan of the new CBR1000RRs but the CBR600RR is a really great bike. The F4i is also a pretty good bike, its not as fast as the R6, GSX-R600, and 600RR but it is alot more comfortable to ride than the above bikes. In 07 Honda got rid of the F4i and now just sells the 600RR. The GSX-R600, R6, 600RR, and ZX6-R are all within seconds of each other in every caterogry. There really isn't too much of a difference in performance in any of these bikes so it comes down to the rider's ability when comparing these bikes.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:40 PM

I was all set to buy a used KLR-650...but I guess by chance or fate, I saw a 2001 Civic EX coupe for sale the same day on Craiglist and I got that instead...the Civic ended up being cheaper than the bike...Id still like to look around and get a KLR, maybe next year or something if a really good deal comes up...

Quick Reply: Street Bikes FTW!