The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

UTI or auto school

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 10:43 PM
HCF Member
Default UTI or auto school

i am looking into one of the auto tech school. which one do you guys know about? did any of you ever gone to tech schoool? or just learn everything online?
I heard UTI is good. they are with toyota (I dont like Toyota)...so im not going to UTI!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Default RE: UTI or auto school

I am in tech school right now in ontario... It is pretty sweet.. chicks dig mechanics.. lol.. I am looking at going to uti right now though I ordered a package on the net.. I don't think that I would specialize in toyota and stuff I think that I would just do the normal auto coarse or the preformance tuning one<--- that would be fun.. trhe only way I go to uti though is ifr I get a scholarship..<--I not poor I am just extremeley cheap on somethingslol.. lol maybe we can be class mates lol..

Old 12-20-2006, 11:00 PM
HCF Member

just because you don't like Toyotas is no reason to scratch a school off your list, especially if it's a good one.

hate em or love em, toyota is going to be the biggest automaker in the world soon.

that means they'll have a bunch of cars on the road that need repairing eventually...

Old 12-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Ben

ORIGINAL: drbyers

just because you don't like Toyotas is no reason to scratch a school off your list, especially if it's a good one.

hate em or love em, toyota is going to be the biggest automaker in the world soon.

that means they'll have a bunch of cars on the road that need repairing eventually...
+1, they're already at the top of the lists for car manufactures'

Old 12-20-2006, 11:24 PM
HCF Member

Toyota's program at UTI is suppose to be the easiest to get into as far as grades go (a whole bunch of manufactures have programs at UTI such as GM,Ford,Porsche,MB,Jag, and a bunch more). If I was going to pick one of the manfactures programs go into, i would have to pick MB(even though i don't like the cars), Porsche, BMW. The reason is these are the best paying companies. There are also othe programs at UTI such as a program for diesel (very lucrative as far as pay goes), Hot rod (for performance) and for NASCAR. The UTI recruiter gave 2 or 3 presentations at my high school auto shop class when i was there. As far as the quality of education, it really goes either way. Some people say its good and some people say its ****. However, i tend to believe that you will get out of it what you put in. If you work your *** off in school you will be successfull no matter which school you go to. I was personally very pleased with the presentation at UTI. The other schools that presented at my shop class weren't as interesting. Also, WyoTech is suppose to also be a really good school as well. However, WyoTech doesn't really have the manufacture specific programs that UTI offers. The manufacture specific training is really valuble since that traning will cost the dealership something like 100K if they were to train you on thier dollar (we calculated it in shop class one time, it might less).

Old 12-21-2006, 09:19 AM
HCF Member

thank you AgentofDarkness and drbyers!!!!

Old 12-21-2006, 05:31 PM

i was actually accepted to UTI's Auto Body Coarse down in Texas but a month before i ended up pulling out. something about having to work 40 hrs a week and do 38 hrs of school just didnt sound like fun fresh out of high school. ( im kickin myself in the a$$ right now tho ) anyways, I really liked UTI's program because if you put forth the effort like AGENT said then you would be rewarded quite nice. they said that 97% of the students who graduated with a certain grades would get picked up by one of the companies to do a special coarse through the auto-maker that picked you up. not only would they pay for this coarse but they said almost 100% of them would get remburssed for the UTI coarse which when i got accepted was 18,xxx. they also said that people that were picked up by companies in school also were making 6 digits within 5 yrs. i still have all my info in my box, kinda sucks tho cuz everytime i open it i always think, what if. i cant complain tho, have a house and an awesome family. dont know if any of that helps ya but if u wanna know anything else i can go dig it up and see what i can find

Old 12-21-2006, 10:12 PM
HCF Member

thank you..
i was looking into UTI for training, just to satisfy many hobby...I am going to a university right now... thank you so much bro!

Old 12-21-2006, 11:03 PM
HCF Member

There is also one more thing to consider when thinking about entering into the automotive industry. Right now you love cars and you love to work on them. However, that might change when you fix cars for a living. Thats one of the reasons why i'm not doing the UTI thing. I love working on cars and i will be turning a wrench until i physically can't. However, I could not see my self doing it all day, every day. I worked at a shop for 2 weeks last winter break and i didn't like it. I like to do new things and try stuff i've never done before. However, after you go through UTI, the amount there is left to learn will dwindle. Also, if you work at a dealership you will be doing the same stuff over and over. You will be doing regular maintance and fixing chain failures. I've talked to a mechanic that went through UTI and used to work for Ford. He said that he got sick of fixing the same problem over and over again. He quit Ford and started working at a private shop. The guy is one of the most knowledgable people i've probably ever met. Something i would like to do in the future is thake ASE classes in communnity college just to learn. I'm currently at engineering student at a 4 year university. I want to work for an automotive company in design.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:07 AM
HCF Member

There is a UTI infomercial on Speed right now and they were going on about the things you learn, and he said "Learn V-tech..." and it was actually spelt V-Tech.... i personally would think twice about going to a school that doesn't know exactly what they are teaching

Quick Reply: UTI or auto school