The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

very upset..but very happy, dont go to midas!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 08:43 PM
HCF Member
Default very upset..but very happy, dont go to midas!

ok here the story, i needed a oil change so i went to get a winter matnence package at midas since they had a good deal on so i went in there and they told me that i needed to replace my plugs, wires,cap and rotor and my wheel cyclender was leaking and he actully showed me that it was leaking and it looked like it so im like ok, and for them to fix it was going to cost like $600!! ..so i took it home and did a test to see how the cap and rotor was, its fine, never had any problems with it there..but since he showed me that the wheel cyclender was leaking i believe him, so i was going to do it myself, got a haynes manul and read up on it..last week i got up bright and early so i can get the job done..well i took a look as the cyclenders again before i took them off and they looked fine, no leaking..just a little mosture and the ones on the oppisite side look more wet then the one he sead was leaking, so im thinking..thats weard, when he showed me is was all wet, not theres nothing wrong[&:]..so i decided to put everything back toughter and bring it to ron, a mechanic up the street thats a very honist guy and that works for the same boss i have,he has always told up the truth on all the cars we brought up there and its always very busy, just a 1 man operation and hes been doing it all of his life, so anyways he finally looked at it today and called me up and told me..THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.. the wheel cyclenders are brand new he sead, its not leaking at all..i am very happy that i dont have to replace them and i can bring the parts back and get my money back at this very expensive time at christmas..man i was soo mad because thos ******** as midas try to rip people off and so happy at the same time there was nothing wrong..i was going to go in there and bitch about it but i dont think its worth my time, i just feel bad for people who dont have a clue about cars and get ripped off by them[:@]..so the point of this story, DONT GO TO MIDAS!!

Old 12-13-2005, 08:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: very upset..but very happy, dont go to midas!

you know what they say... " if you want it done right, do it yourself" it sorta works in this situation

Old 12-13-2005, 08:58 PM
HCF Member

watch out ----in a franchise shops such as midas ---they always sell everything u dont need --because the mechanics get about 10% of what they sell ---the more they sell the more $$ they make

been there --done that -- hate it[:@]

ALWAYS get a 2nd opinion

Old 12-13-2005, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

I do my own work whenever possible. I wouldn't take my car to any place like jiffy lube for an oil change. Midas i can understand because some exhaust work cannot be done b/c it may require welding or the bolts so rusted that you can't take off. But for other jobs, its is better to do it yourself. That way the mechanic at midas can't rip you off. And yea, its always good to know your stuff, its hard for a mechanic to lie to you when you know how everything works and how it looks when its broken.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

Man i am lucky i dont have to take my car to those places, i know a Mechanic here in Fredericton that seems pretty honest, ( i took my old corolla in to him, not aware of what the issue was, car wouldn't start for me and it just died when driving. told him i thought it was the fuel pump, but he called me the next day sand said it was the timing belt, $231 later and off i was, wasn't cheep but it also wasn't $600 for something that didn't need to be done. back home my step dad owns his own car dealership, so i just take my car there when i need anything done to it. so if it needs to be fixed the tell me and let me make the decision, i lucked out on that one

Old 12-13-2005, 09:44 PM
HCF Member

Me and my friends do most of my work well my friends do because I don't have the patience to work on cars but if I was you I would atleast stop by and cuss that guy out that tried to sale you all that crap.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:03 PM
HCF Member

I know what ur talking about with the patience. Stupid gutter keeps eating my parts. It takes alot of patience to work on cars, b/c nothing ever works out like it should, especially on older cars.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:10 PM
HCF Member

Yea what can go wrong will

Old 12-13-2005, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

Jiffy Lube wanted to do a brake system flush on my fuel lines, and the same place inflated the tires on my dad's Exploder to 50psi. I'm learning to change my own oil now.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:29 AM

Yeh, Midas is a RIPOFF! I had a bad experience with them years ago. They replaced my rotors and put the wrong ones on. I kept complaining about a rumbling noise while driving and then they said I was hearing things. They also had cigarette ashes in my car and grease on my seat.

Finally, I took it to another Midas and they're the ones that told me they were the wrong rotors. Then I told them that another Midas did the work. With a lot of hassle, I finally got money from their head office for replacing the parts that were messed up and cleaning of my interior, along with cab fare.

Midas is a RIPOFF!

Quick Reply: very upset..but very happy, dont go to midas!