The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Want to get a GSX-R, any suggestions?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:12 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Default Want to get a GSX-R, any suggestions?!?!

Hey, I really want to get a bike. I really like Suzuki GSX-R. I don't know much about crotch rockets and would like some suggestions from people that know more about them.

Others questions I have are:

How much is insurance on a bike normally?

Thanks!!!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Want to get a GSX-R, any suggestions?!?!

There are a few "what bike to get" threads around here, try searching.

Is this your first bike? Which GSX-R are you thinking about? 600, 1000?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Well, first, you have to take into consideration whether this is your first bike or not. If it is your first bike, I wouldn't recommend getting a GSX-R... they'repretty powerful for a beginner... personally, I'm getting a Suzuki GS500f in August for my first bike. If it isn't your first bike, then bike choice depends on what you want to do with it. If you want a good bike for the track, or just want to have fun on windy roads, go with a 600 or a 750. If you want to go fast (very, very fast) in a straight line, then get the 1000, or maybe even the legendary Hayabusa.

Second, bike insurance is usually less than car insurance (obviously, I really can't give you a price); but it still depends on the bike itself,insurance companies, and the rider in question's age.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

I think the whole "GSX-R's are horrible for beginners" is a massive crock...

Old 04-23-2007, 10:36 AM
HCF Member

Second, bike insurance is usually less than car insurance (obviously, I really can't give you a price); but it still depends on the bike itself,insurance companies, and the rider in question's age.
hahaha, where do u live cuz maybe i should move there for my insurance, lol. i paid 680 a month for my type s rsx and they wanted more for a ninja that i was lookin at for my first bike. damn insurance companies hate me!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

I think the whole "GSX-R's are horrible for beginners" is a massive crock...
I don't think its such a crock of BS. The amount of power that modern sports bikes have is ridiculous. I've ridden my buddies GSX-R600 and it is damn quick. If you've never ridden a bike before, it probably isnt' a good idea to get a big bike. If you make a mistake on a 250CC bike, you can usually recover fairly easily and you won't fall of or get hurt but you will know that you made the mistake. If you had a 600CC bike, the same mistake will cause you to fall off and get injured. I've been riding a 250CC bike since October. I hate it, its slow and a POS. However, I've learned a **** load about riding and I'm a much better rider b/c of it. The big problem with sport bikes are the throttle and the brakes. The brake are extremely powerful, you touch the brake and you stop, end of story. Begginer riders slam the brakes when in an emergency, if you don't know how to control it, you will end up doing and endo and going over the handle bars. Similar thing for the throttle, you give it to much throttle you will end up doing a wheelie, skidding, or falling off. Go on ANY sport bike forum, and every1 will tell you not to get a 600CC when you first start out. Riding motorcycles is very serious. Doing stupid **** on a 600CC bike will get you killed. You can't really do stupid **** on a 250CC bike. Onto the GSX-R600 issue. I personally like the Honda CBR series. If you are going to buy a new bike, look into the CBR600RR. From everything i've read, its the best 600CC bike on the market right now hands down. I rode my friend's GSX-R600 (it was a racing addition) and I didnt' really like it. The thing about sport bikes is that they are almost all exactly the same. People will argue for days over which bike is better but at the end of the day, all the bikes are within seconds of each other. So goto to a dealership that has all the major brands of bikes (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Ducati (if u got lots of cash)) and sit on all the bikes and try to test drive as many of them as you can. Find the one that is most comfortable to you. I personally will be getting a CBR600F4i becuase it is suppose to be alot more comfortable than the other 600s but still has power and handling.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:57 PM
HCF Member

http://www.cbrforum.com/m_281442/tm.htm check this thread out, they are discussing insurance stuff. If you are getting a bike and you will be financing it through the dealer, you have to get Full insurance.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Well, long winded soap box speeches aside... No, a gsx-r 600 is not the BEST choice for a beginner, but its not the worst either. You should know and understand the consequences of being a jackass on a streetbike, it's common knowledge. That being said maybe its a good idea to get used to bikes in general before up and buying ANY sport bike. I just don't see the advantage in limiting yourself right away, unless you've got absolutely no other means of learning.

I don't know, to me it makes sense to understand something before you buy it...call me crazy

Old 04-23-2007, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

damn ill call my new insurance agent then and see what they can do for me, thats some crazy stuff, lol.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:37 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Thanks! Yeah, I'd looking for something more like the GSX-R 600. The 1000 would be too much for me.

Quick Reply: Want to get a GSX-R, any suggestions?!?!