The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

well thank youuuu

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:27 AM
HCF Member

So a coworker of mine told me they heard on the radio this morning that gas is supposed to go up not 9 cents a liter but anywhere from 15 to 20 cents a liter (57 to 76 cents per gallon)

Old 09-14-2008, 07:48 AM
HCF Member

Ah GREED. Its what keeps America great. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Its about $4.75 here for regular, adn $5.35 for the good stuff!

I love my Civic!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:23 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by PirateX
It *should* be based on supply & demand, but more often than not, it's caused by theoretical supply & demand, which is then blown completely out of proportion.

The general formula (from what I've observed, YMMV) is thus:

Possible event "X" (threat of attack on oil reserves in Iraq, possible tropical storm/hurricane), causes gas price "Y" to increase by multiplier "Z", where Z is some completely arbitrary number.

A Canadian politician said on the news a while ago that a "Category 2 tropical storm turns into a category 5 fleecing for consumers at the pumps"... It's not so far off-base.

I understand that this time rigs and refineries in Texas were ACTUALLY shut down, so it makes this pill a bit easier to swallow... but not much
Then again Edmonton, AB has alot of refineries so it doesn't make sence that we are paying more here on this side anyways? Damn can't worry I guess

Old 09-15-2008, 09:50 AM
HCF Member

Well the 0.20 cent per liter increase was a scare tactic like i had thought, gas went up 9 cents as they originally indicated

Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Stinky Administrator

not a scare tactic here just plain ole gouging gas today at $5.09-$5.19 if you can find it.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I am not sure where everyone posting in this thread is located but, here in Houston, gas can still be gotten for as low as $3.39 U.S./gallon. Not sure how long this will last though.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:48 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
I am not sure where everyone posting in this thread is located but, here in Houston, gas can still be gotten for as low as $3.39 U.S./gallon. Not sure how long this will last though.
East coast of Canada, we don't even get oil from that area, it's just the governments gouging us, and making up excuses.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Fiirkan
East coast of Canada, we don't even get oil from that area, it's just the governments gouging us, and making up excuses.
This shows my ignorance about our friendly neighbor to the North. Does the government of Canada set the price of gas? None of the oil companies are privately owned? Has Venezuela reduced crude oil production?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:47 PM
HCF Member

From my local news paper
Citing the impact of hurricane Ike on refining capacity in Texas, the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission announced Sunday gasoline prices will increase by 9.0 cents per litre (cpl) today.
Furnace oil and stove oil prices will decrease by 4.5 cpl, diesel prices will decrease by 5.5 cpl; and there will be no changes in propane prices at this time.
Including taxes, pump prices for regular unleaded gasoline at self-serve outlets will now range from 136.0 cpl to 138.1 cpl.
cpl = cents per liter

yeah we don't get our oil from Texas, yet they say that is why it's going up.... riddle me that one batman....

Old 09-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Fiirkan
yeah we don't get our oil from Texas, yet they say that is why it's going up.... riddle me that one batman....
I don't know the answer. Is it possible that, while Canada does not obtain gasoline directly from Texas refineries, it does obtain a substantial amount from the U.S.? If so, my speculation would be that the spike in gasoline prices expected in the U.S. due the effects of Ike on Houston refineries will also be felt in Canada.

Quick Reply: well thank youuuu