The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.
View Poll Results: A poll
I prefer to remain neutral
41.07%
I like to gear it up, baby!
35.71%
I don't pay attention/don't care
1.79%
I drive an auto. My mother is ashamed of me.
21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

When you park, do you....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 03:38 PM
HCF Member
Default When you park, do you....?

(I was gonna put this in the "General Civic Talk" forum, but I can't put a poll there, so... yeah.)

Poll question: When you park your car, do you keep or put the car in gear, or do you keep it in neutral?

Discussion questions:
Aside from the fact that keeping it in gear prevents car rollage (Yes, rollage is a word) is there any reason to keep your car in gear when you park it? I always keep mine in neutral when it's parked. I don't know why, but it really irks me if someone keeps it in gear if they park my car (if say, for instance I've had one two many beers.) There is no reason for it, I just like it to be out of gear, even though I see the advantage to keeping it IN gear.

Is there a right or wrong way to do this? Is it even a topic worthy of discussion? Am I crazy, or does a creamcheese/chili hotdog with onions sound really good?

Please discuss.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I prefer to remain neutral

I've always put mine in neutral with the emergency brake on. If I'm parked on a steep incline I always turn my wheels away from the curb and I may leave it in first gear as an extra precaution. Otherwise, in your typical, flat parking space, I leave it in neutral... Just a habit I've developed...

I also know that most shops around here will not install remote start on manual transmissions because people leave their car in gear. You can see where that would lead....

Old 08-18-2006, 03:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: When you park, do you....?

You and me Jake. You and me vs. the world!!

(Ok, so I've had way too much AMP today. And I'm SO gonna take it out on yall.)

Old 08-18-2006, 03:49 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Little Black Hatch

You and me Jake. You and me vs. the world!!

(Ok, so I've had way too much AMP today. And I'm SO gonna take it out on yall.)
LOL! werd..[8D]

Old 08-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Stinky Administrator

i keep mine in gear with the e-brake on................................................ .................................................. .............................
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................
peg goes running to hide in a corner

Old 08-18-2006, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

^^ You don't have to hide for long Peg, I'm sure some other "in gear" supporters will gladly rally behind you. At least you pull the emergency brake though. I though about it and the main reason I don't park with my car in gear (without the e-brake on) is I hate when you put it in gear, then let off the brake, then you get minor "rollage" as LBH put it. And also, when you return to the car, put your foot on the clutch to start, you get "rollage" once again. (with e-brake off of course) This always made me a little uneasy, especially in tight places, thus the neutral+e-brake habit was implemented...

Old 08-18-2006, 04:20 PM

don't worry, i'm behind you peg. when i drive a 5 speed and park i always keep it in gear with the e-brake. i don't like it being able to move. i don't like "rollage" in the slightest and was raised to always press on the clutch while starting my car, just as a precaution. don't worry your not alone.

(oh but right now my mothers ashamed of me cuz i'm driving an auto, but only til i get my jeep) and the fact that its my gf's car.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

You sould be pretty old This is one of the good practices from the times when you did not have to depress your clutch pedal to start your engine. Just a precaution, for not to hit anything or anybody, when you start. And some (many) people did put their cars in gear back then, too. The only reason they were able to provide was "to save parking brake of excessive wear". I don't get it, still. Save for what? For junk yard?
Anyway, it is still a good practice to leave your car in neutral and apply parking brake (yes, this thing is called "parking" brake for its main intended use, not "emergency" ). Even nowadays, when you have to deprees your clutch to be able to start your engine, because you can just release the pedal without checking the gear, as easy as you could turn the key to "start" back then.
Auto transmission is different animal altogether - since you have to put handle itno "park" and it will not jump when you start it anyway, I just do not bother with parking brake on auto trans cars.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Stinky Administrator

ORIGINAL: Misha

You sould be pretty old This is one of the good practices from the times when you did not have to depress your clutch pedal to start your engine.
yea it really shows how old i am i learned how to drive back in good ole 1980 when i was "cough 13 cough"

Old 08-18-2006, 04:34 PM

I leave it in neutral in most places, if it's a steep hill then I'll turn the wheels and gear it.

Quick Reply: When you park, do you....?