The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

The Word Jap

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:35 PM
HCF Member
Default The Word Jap

Hi guys I was wondering if the word "jap" is racist. Even if it's used in a good context. I know if you say something like jap crap it's probably bad but like saying, jap parts for my car I just see it as shortening the word japenese. If I could get some feedback from some asian guys it would be most appreciated. Because my girlfriend is all pissed at me for using the word. I have the most respect for Japanese dudes and there culture thats why I got a honda civic.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: The Word Jap

I dont know some people would say its rascist and cant tell you why. I would say no because really I have no reason to say it is .

Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
HCF Member

That's for you to decide.
You should be old enough to decide
wether its right or wrong.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

I dunno, I use the term Jap slap, and people call me racist. So i guess so? haha

Old 02-01-2007, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

Well I'm sick of my girlfriend acting like she knows what other guys of a different racefeelsouly based on afew books she'sreadand has a friend who's asian. She also believes that it's ok to say racial jokesif it'sjon stewart or some other celebrity on tv, because it's "taking it and spinning it on it's head". I don't think it's right to pick apart things and take things down into terms of rascism. If it's not with the intentions of putting someone down because of their race.How can it be rascist? I think it's more rascist to think in terms of that and act differently towards someone because they happen to be of a dif race. Instead of joking around with it and making light of it showing that theres no depth to it.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

She's also white by the way

Old 02-01-2007, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

It's sad that you guys don't know what it means (no, im not japanese)
Jap was used during WWII as a racist term to call japanese people
Japanese American were also sent to internment camp and separated from the society in poor conditions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...can_Internment

Old 02-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Eun

well...I dunno, it's based on people around ya. I would take it offenseful.[:@]

Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Live_4it
I think it's more rascist to think in terms of that and act differently towards someone because they happen to be of a dif race. Instead of joking around with it and making light of it showing that theres no depth to it.
that hit the nail on the head. personally i can hear a racial joke and laugh at it. take the same concept put it as real life and it is completely different. the reason i laugh at a joke is just that, it is a joke. If someone gets pissed at it they need to lighten up... kinda like the dead baby joke... man do i love a good dead baby joke.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 PM
HCF Member

The term Jap is completely unknown in Japan... you go over there and tell people their Japs and they will agree with you... because they are Japanese! It doesnt have the same meaning as ***** or beaner or the infamous N-word.

Quick Reply: The Word Jap