Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'00 civic running rough only when cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Default '00 civic running rough only when cold

Anyone have any idea what this could be? My check engine light is coming (and staying) on. I've tried disconnecting the battery, but the light just comes back on the next day. Also, on a cold start it runs very rough when driving. Acceleration is choppy and it doesn't go away until I shut it off and restart it. Sometimes this doesn't even work. Basically, it has to reach normal operating temperature and be driven for a while. Then I shut it off and let it sit for a bit and when I start it up again its fine. I don't have a code reader but would like to try a few things myself before taking it to the garage. Any help would be great.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: '00 civic running rough only when cold

Take it to Autozone, they will read the code for free. You have to see what the code is telling you before you go doing any type of blind diagnostics.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Default RE: '00 civic running rough only when cold

I realize this. However, up here in Canada there is no Autozone or any other place that reads codes for free. I simply wondered if anyone has had a similar problem and could offer some advice before I lose 50 bucks for a diagnosis. So far, PCV valve changed, air filter is clean and wires checked out fine. Next (and little more costly step) is the fuel filter, but I doubt this will do it. Thanx for listening. Scott.