Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01 civic run rough & stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Default 01 civic run rough & stall

I have a recurring problem with my 01 civic with SRI and manual trans. It seems to have started ever since I drove through a huge unavoidable puddle. Initially the car ran fine, then 2 days later while waiting in traffic the car started running VERY rough with a loud popping sound from the exhaust. The CEL came on at the exact same time. It immediately stalled, and after 3 tries, I finally got it started and was able to limp it out of the way into a parking lot. I had to keep the pedal floored, and there was absolutely no power... couldn't get it past 2nd gear (maybe it went into LIMP mode?). I tried unsuccessfully to start it for a few minutes, then gave up and called a tow truck. An hour later when the truck showed up, the car started up fine, but the CEL was still on. I drove straight home intending to call the mechanic when I got there, but the CEL went off within a few minutes of being back on the road.

Since that initial incident, the same thing has happened 3 more times in a space of about four months. The weird thing is that it happens only when I'm stuck in traffic, but not everytime I've been stuck in traffic. There seems to be a little smoke coming from the manifold (?) area, but the temp gauge stays pegged at about the 3/8 mark. Every single time I've had to limp it to the side of the road (once I couldn't get it started and had to push it), let it sit for about 45 minutes, and then it would start up fine. About 10 minutes after running it, the CEL would go off.

I don't know if this is related or not, but if I've been driving around a bit and the engine has warmed up, it won't immediately restart if I turn it off. I takes 2-3 tries and still takes a while and requires revving the throttle. If I let the car sit for about an hour and come back, it starts up fine. I called my mechanic and he said that at a bare minimum I need a new starter and water pump(?). Anybody got any ideas before I take it in?

Oh, I also changed out the air filter due to a sizeable hole.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 01 civic run rough & stall

Take your car to Autozone. They will retrieve the CEL code(s) stored in the ECU free of charge. Reset the ECU at home by removing fuse 6 from the under-hood fuse box for 20 seconds and then replacing it. When you see the CEL turn ON again, have AutoZone again retrieve the code(s). Any repeated codes should give you an insight into what is causing your problem.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:26 PM

I live in Hawaii, and the nearest Autozone is in Cali. I just ordered a code scanner online, but is there any way to manually check it in the meantime?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah, that's a long wet ride to California. Unfortunately, I don't think you can use the "jumper wire" method of 96-00 Civics to retrieve the code. Any chance that a local Auto Parts store offers a service similar to AutoZone? Otherwise, you may have to await arrival of the scan tool.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:39 PM

Yeah, thanks for the tip anyhow!

I was finally able to duplicate the problem today. When I initially startup the car, it idles fine in the 800RPM range. If I let it sit there for an extended period, after about 10-15 minutes it slowly starts to drop in RPM as the engine warms up. Eventually it starts sputtering, the CEL comes on, and it stalls. Thereafter it becomes difficult to drive and almost impossible to restart. If I let it sit for about 45 minutes till the engine cools, it starts fine and the CEL will go off with about 10 minutes of normal driving. During this whole time, the temp gauge never goes above 3/8 mark. I may try a round of Seafoam to see if that will help anything?

Old 02-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Wait to know the repeated CEL code(s) so that you don't do unnecessary work.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Does the CEL flash?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 PM

Alright, I got it scanned, cleared it, and scanned it again. Three codes popped up: p1361, p1362, and p1298.

I guess the 1361 & 1362 are the TDC sensor. Is that difficult to replace? I have no idea what to do about the 1298.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 PM
HCF Member

P1298

Electrical Load Detector Circuit High Input

P1361

TDC Sensor Intermittent Interruption

P1362

TDC Sensor No Signal

My guess is this puddle you drove through may have fried some electronics. not absolutely sure on that though, but it would explain the P1298 code.coud also be astripped and shorting wire, checkaround the back of the blockunder the manifold for scraping wires. I would also get the load detectortested, you might have to replace the fuse panel itself (can't replace just the detector).

Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The TDC codes would explain your problems. In earlier model Civics, if the TDC is bad, you need to replace the entire distributor assembly.

The ELD is simply an energy saving device -- still fix as a faulty ELD will make your alternator work too hard and wear it out faster.

Quick Reply: 01 civic run rough & stall