Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.5l refusing to start...turns over though

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Default RE: 1.5l refusing to start...turns over though

Previously this has happended to me when the coil wire was pulled part way out. The gas tank had lots of dirt in it and it would get sucked up into the filter and clog it. Then when it set the dirt ran out and I could run it again for a while.

Some sensor like oil pressure could be bad and not letting the car start up. Not sure about this.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 AM

allright. so i replaced the main relay and that wasnt the problem. the old one is still clicking. i do not however hear the fuel pump start when the key is moved. is this an issue? do the older civics have noisyfuel pumps?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You need to be in a reasonably quiet place to hear it. It may be louder if you lean under the back of the car and listen right at the tank when someone turns the key on.

The definitive test to see if fuel is reaching the engine is to disconnect the fuel return hose under the hood, the one that goes from the fuel regulator to the pipeline back to the tank. (Loosen the gas cap first to relieve any pressure in that part of the system). Direct the hose into a container and turn the key on but don't crank. Fuel should come out for a couple of seconds when the pump runs.

Before going thru all that, pull one of the spark plug wires and check for sparks to confirm the ignition is OK first.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 AM

I am about to check the fuel. Where at on the civics are the fuel filters? I just want to make sure that it isnt clogged. I mean it is a 1990 DX with 135k on the clock...so she is pretty old. I was told to take a screw driver out and put it in the spark plug wire socket, lay it on the valve cover and turn over to check for spark. can you confirm?

now, my check engine light stays on when i turn the key into the "on" position. i hear that this means that the coil is bad?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Fuel filter is on the firewall. It's not going to clog up and instantly kill the car unless you put bad gas in right before.

Check sparks that way or put a spare plug in the wire and hold it near the engine. Should be able to get sparks to jump at least a half inch from the metal part of the plug to ground. Hold the insulated part of the wire of course.

Check engine light on steady is usually associated with the main relay. Light should come on for 2 seconds and go out when you turn the key on but don't crank. After about 15 seconds with the key on it will come on again and stay on steady. At least that's what my '91 does.

Check for codes using the diagnostic LED on the ECU. The ECU is on the cabin side of the firewall where the passenger's feet would be. Pull the carpet down and there is a little window with a LED behind it. Turn the key on and the LED will blink out number codes if there are any.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:22 AM

hmmm about to check the ecu for the error codes. do you have a list of codes?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 PM

ok i checked the ECU it flashed 16 times. any ideas anyone? Im guessing that this is a fuel injection problem... the check engine light stays on for 2 seconds then turns off when in the on position...should i just take it in to a mech?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 PM
HCF Member

here are the codes.
let us know what ya find.
http://https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_45386/tm.htm

Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM

allright, it says that its a fuel problem. or better yet a fuel injector problem.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:56 PM
HCF Member

what year and model was the car? have you checked to see if the injector clips are plugged in?? what code was it?

Quick Reply: 1.5l refusing to start...turns over though