Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1984 Noise suppressor

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Question 1984 Noise suppressor

This noise suppressor is in the key on power wire to the distributor, I think it powers the pick up coil, the other two wires that go the the dis are from the coil.

I have tested this noise supperssor with a multi meter and i can't get anything thru it. I was told it is a diode and I tested it with the diode setting on my meter and nothing there either.

My question is simple. Can't find a new part and this 1984 Civic wagon does not have a radio so................what happens if I jumper around the unit. The two wires going into it are simple one is make the other is female so the jumper would be clean and easy.

Any thoughts please.

Thanks

BTW.........this is not my car I am helping a friend who does not have lots of cash and my labor is free.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

That should work, if it's designed to pass through. On the 86 I had I think it was a capacitor to ground. I thought there were 2 wires to the distributor. One is always live (also connected to + on the coil), and one drives the coil (connected to - on the coil). There is actually an electronic module inside the distributor that senses the reluctor and drives the coil, so be careful not to blow it -- if it isn't already shot. The ignition system is self-contained, there is no computer involved.

Also when there is suddenly no spark, consider the possibility of a stripped timing belt-- check that the distributor shaft indeed rotates.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Question

Not sure what you are telling me is the correct informaiton for this automobile.

This 1984 Honda Civic 1500 has a carb, a distributor that you can set the timing, electronic points, a coil that looks like it came off of my 55' Chevy.

Three wires go the the dizzy from the coil area. Two from the coi, one each for thel +/- posts, and a wire that is black w/yellow stripe which is hot when key is on. This "noise suppressor' is in line with that wire.

There are two styles of ignition. One has the dis cap straight out and the newer one the cap turns the plug wires 90 degrees up.

Please be specific about your knowlage of this year electrical system.

I don't want to jumper something out if it burns the car down. Fair?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

That sounds about like the 1986 had. Module in the distributor and old-fashioned round coil. Black / yellow wires on a Honda are always the ignition power from the key. I think you could bypass it if it's a black/yellow wire on both sides. You should be getting power to the low-voltage terminals on the coil with the key on.