Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1986 Civic Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Default 1986 Civic Help

I have a 1.5L 1986 Honda Civic Carbed, i just bought the car and am having some issues, when i bought it it ran well but now im running into all types of problems. When i start the car up it starts up but doesnt stay on and shuts off. Im thinkin idle sensor but im not 100% sure cuz im not a mechanic. I was thinking it was the old fuel that was in it so i put some 93 octane to balance out the diluted old gas. But im not sure i need some help really bad i need to get on the road and sometime soon and i need this car running. And now the car just doenst wanna start, im in a bind right now and pretty tight on cash, anything will help thanks ahead of time

Old 11-21-2009, 02:55 PM
HCF Member

Tell me will the car stay running if you keep your foot on the accelerator? If so perhaps its a problem with the carburator. Perhaps Idle air control, Dashpot, or idle air control solenoid.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by lilytek
Tell me will the car stay running if you keep your foot on the accelerator? If so perhaps its a problem with the carburator. Perhaps Idle air control, Dashpot, or idle air control solenoid.
Yea the car will stay running if i keep my foot on the accelerator, im thinking the car is flooded now since i would try to see if the car would keep itself on by reving it. How can i diagnose the problem at hand? And how much will it be if i do it myself/ how hard will the work be?

Old 11-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It does not start at all now? If it does not start at all take off one of the spark plug wires and connect it to a spare plug, hold the plug on the engine and see if it sparks.

Is it equipped with a carb or fuel injection? I think they did build a few fuel injected CVCC during those years. You don't want a carb one, they're really complicated especially when it comes to idling. Maybe you can fudge it by turning up the idle stop screw enough to keep it running.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
It does not start at all now? If it does not start at all take off one of the spark plug wires and connect it to a spare plug, hold the plug on the engine and see if it sparks.

Is it equipped with a carb or fuel injection? I think they did build a few fuel injected CVCC during those years. You don't want a carb one, they're really complicated especially when it comes to idling. Maybe you can fudge it by turning up the idle stop screw enough to keep it running.
I have a carb one, i am starting to regret this decision but it was only 750 bucks and i couldnt pass up the offer. where is this screw located specifically so i can try it out tomarrow when im replacing some things. And i did do a spark plug test from my mechanic friend and it has spark. So im thinking a vaccum hose is messing up or something of the sort.

The car is starting up its just something with the idle, when its cold it starts up n stays running, but when its warmed up or driven it doesnt idle. I need to get this problem resolved soon because i need this on the road to get to work and back. Soon anything anyone knows will help.im open to suggestions.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:54 PM

here is a video of whats going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaFpkfJ36kE
shows from the inside a quick view of a startup and rev then the cut off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_7KwgbxDrA
at the end is where i show you whats going on with it. hope this helps people figure out what this is.

Last edited by 86CivicDD; 11-21-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: embeded links wern't working