Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1988 civic throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:58 AM
HCF Member
Default 1988 civic throttle body cleaning

i have a 88 civic dpfi 1.5 standard 4 door LX and i was getting a check engine light code 7 on the ecu. this isnt the first time but the prior times it wouldnt give me shyt. well i guess today is the day lol. im not sure if im correct "please no flamage if im not" but if im interpreting correctly the ecus date was 87, built in 87. and i took one from a yard built in 89. the original i had was a PM5-A050 and i got a PM5-A080 and it works good. but with the last ecu it wouldnt let the car rev over 2500rpm. itd get there than drop almost to zero and jump back to 2500 with the accelerator floored. this new ecu allows me to drive it but it drives like ****. i tested for a 0.4v closed throttle and got a jumping in the range of .400 and .600 on the multimeter lol. so imma point the finger at the tps. voltages read just fine at the tps plugin so i cant blame the ecu even tho i swapped em. now i tore apart the entire throttle body. took picture documentation of everything i disconnected so i remember where everything goes. but my question is should i spray all over the sonofabytch with the carb cleaner. this bastid is dirty all over and inside. should i remove the fuel injectors and spray those as well. i want this to be like a new throttle body out of the box lol. so any help is appreciated. if youd like to see some of the gunk ill up pics in the next thread. thx for readin and any help is appreciated. i come to you guys before my dumbarse does something drastic like this to my car cuz im afraid ill fucc it up

Old 02-16-2010, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

Last edited by MistaGlock; 02-16-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: broken images
Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the TPS through its whole range, the voltage should increase smoothly to about 4.5 volts as the throttle goes to wide open (do this with the key on but engine not running). If it has any jumps or dead spots, replace. You need to calibrate then new one by rotating it with the screws loose to get 0.4v with throttle closed.

Make sure the diaphragm that opens the upper plate is OK and all vacuum hoses properly connected. Most of the dirt that builds up on a throttle body is superficial and won't hurt its operation. Don't get cleaner on the TPS or the diaphragm parts. Check both fuel injectors for ohms you can also remove and clean them.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

lol yeah those focking bugger fuel injectors are a pain in the **** to extract. i ended up destroying one LOL! so imma get one from the junkyard. i didnt really care that i destroyed it. it was beginning to **** me off lol. i think i have a pair somewhere around here. but as far as the throttle body cleaner. should i hit the whole bastid excluding the parts you mentioned on your last post. and i dont know anything if its significant. but i just remembered the voltage read at 4.9volts instead of 5. but being its off by .1 volt i dont think its nothing to uber worry about. idk im lost

Old 02-17-2010, 04:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The voltage on the output wire should vary as you move the throttle, that's the whole point of the sensor. So test it from closed (~0.4) to wide open (~4.5 volts). Having 4.9 instead of 5.0 on the supply wire is OK.

Do not get cleaner on any rubber or plastic external parts like the TPS. If you buy a used throttle body put it on as it is, no cleaning or anything, to see if it is OK. If you mess with it too much you'll lose your right to return it.

Last edited by mk378; 02-17-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 PM
HCF Member

i swapped out that tpm from one at a junkyard. got a drill bit to the head and bought a stripped bolt extractor from ace and it did the trick just facking dandy but my newest problem is i reassembled everything. now the bastard dont want to start. im lost as to what to do next. i checked all the connections. i even had the black plastic bottom that fits over the throttle body off and i was looking into the tb holding the top valve and the throttle valve open and i didnt see any gas spraying while my girl was cranking. idk? (after edit) just my 2 cents. but when i put the fuel hose on the throttle body i dropped a 0 ring on the ground i just remembered. and i looked at the bolt and it has holes to allow the fuel to flow thru. could it be not getting adequate fuel because i dropped and didnt install that small spacer?