Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1990 Honda Civic/ Water Pump/ Timing Belt problems

Old 11-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Exclamation 1990 Honda Civic/ Water Pump/ Timing Belt problems

So, long story short, I messed up big.
I had a water pump leaking so I decided to change the water pump, and in the process my timing belt was old so I was going to change that. Following the book to the best of my abilities in regards to taking stuff apart I got to the crankshaft pulley bolt. After lots of different attempts and several broken sockets I got it off ,BUT before I was able to get the bolt and the pulley loose and off my timing belt broke (this was due to it being old, I knew it was time to change it).

Well, i'm not the most car savvy and didn't know that if you spin the crankshaft without the top moving you will potentially have a problem. Wellll, i have a problem. I started the car up when I put everything back together and it sounded fine, once I stepped on the gas a little I heard a metal on metal sound and the car almost stalled... There is the mistake. Now, I am curious, how can I get in there and fix it. Thanks for any help it is much appreciated!!!
-Jon-

Old 11-18-2011, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

You probably have a couple bent valves, maybe more, you have to pull the head off to see what damage has been done. It's a good sign that the motor ran, if all the valves were bent the car probably wouldn't start. Since you've already done a timing belt it's not that much more difficult to pull the head, you'd have to look at the valves and pistons and go from there.

Did you keep turning the motor over and over again when you were trying to get the crank pulley off after the belt broke? Or did you just do like 1/2 a rotation?

Last edited by anibis; 11-18-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM

sadly I turned it quite a few times. not just half a turn.