Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1995 Honda Civic Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Default 1995 Honda Civic Start Problem

so my mom passed me down her Honda civic that she got brand new in 1995

i left it out back for about 2 days with the spark plug wire unconnected because i was afraid some one is gonna steal it

here is the vid of it trying to start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqCy9Myb1fo

Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Angry Admin

its ur battery prob look at the lights dimming ridiculously

Old 11-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

couple of things could be the problem.

first check to make sure you have the the spark plug wires on the distributor in the correct order. They should go like this (standing on pass side looking at distributor):

1 2
3 4 (i think thats how it is for a D series engine)

and FYI standing in front of the car looking at the engine the cylinder goes 4-3-2-1

If that doesnt correct it then its possible you have either a bad ignition coil inside the distributor or for some reason you are not getting fuel to the engine.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by jprommel
its ur battery prob look at the lights dimming ridiculously
thats from him trying and trying to start the engine. Its not even wanting to crank over and at first his battery sounds to have enough juice to fire the engine up.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Angry Admin

oh i couldnt hear **** i got the muzack too loud =[ why u no tell me sn

Old 12-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I think the wires should actually be

1 3
2 4

in other words, as you go clockwise looking at the outside of the distributor, the wires are 1-3-4-2. This is the order the cylinders fire as the engine runs. Cylinder #1 is the one furthest from the distributor.

Trying to start with a wire disconnected can burn out the coil. It's not supposed to, but it has happened to several people here. See if you have sparks at all and if not, probably need a new coil.

Also if you don't have a battery charger, you can remove the battery and take it to a parts store and have them charge it. It's not good for a battery to sit around run down anyway so you should do this even if you're not going to try to start the car soon.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:50 AM

i did try to start it with one plug out so will try that soon

my uncle did check to see if he got a spark and he didn't

Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the cap off. Check for sparks right at the output post of the coil by holding a grounded test wire near it and cranking. (Also look if the rotor rotates. If it doesn't, there's a problem with the timing belt, but I doubt that is the case here). If you get only very weak sparks, replace the coil. If you get nothing at all, check if power is reaching the black and yellow wire on the distributor while cranking the engine. If there is power it's still probably worth trying a new coil.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:17 PM

i took it off im looking for a wire i don't think i have one is there any thing else i can use?

the cup looks fine to me

Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 PM

now that you have that part of the distributor look at the part still on the engine. At the top of the distributor is the coil. That is what mk378 is talking about. Take a piece of wire and ground it out and hold it close to the coil and see if there is spark while the engine cranks.

Quick Reply: 1995 Honda Civic Start Problem