Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1996 dx coupe electrical issues. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Default 1996 dx coupe electrical issues. HELP!!!

Okay so my problems are when I start my car. I turn and hold the key to start and I hear it about to start and then starter cuts right out for a second and then finally turns over and starts, once it starts all the lights are dim, cluster goes crazy and car lacks major electrical power. I have to rev to 4500rpms and then lights all brighten and stay bright and gauges begin to work but car still lacks some electrical power that I do get once in a while, usually on long drives my front right signal light seems to only work when I'm getting this full power. I almost stalled the car (manual) a couple times and radio resets as of battery died. When the car is of almost no power at all when I'm on acc my radio will turn on but if I try to use anything (lights,air,wipers) car shorts and radio resets again this problem has been becoming much worse, didn't have this hard start the other day and gauges would only go crazy once in a while but always noticed lack of power I've only owned this car a month
Troubleshooting steps
Tested battery on 3 different machines
Test alternator (at first start 9-10V after 4500-5000 RPM rev 14 steady volts @alternator. @battery 12V all the time
Replaced engines grounds
Checked all fuses with eye and test light all seem to be okay

The car will not gain power until I rev it up, after it gets a quick rev it usually doesn't act up until it shuts of

Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The voltage at the battery must be the same as at the alternator. Check the large wire between the alternator and the fuse box and the big fuses in the box. There should be battery voltage on the output post of the alternator at all times, even with the key off.

Also it being a 1996 it is prone to the fuse 15 problem. Without control power on the "I" wire, which comes from fuse 15 under the dash, the alternator will have low and varying output. Due to a manufacturing defect, the wires are prone to short out where they come across the back of the engine.

Last edited by mk378; 10-05-2012 at 05:55 AM.