Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 honda civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Default 1997 honda civic LX

My car had been running fine... I drove it about 8 miles and at a stop light, it just died....it did start back up and I was able to drive it about 1 more mile and then it would not accelerate and just DIED... The car turned over good, but would not start...1st thing that I did was to check the spark (pulled the plug wire off & had my dau to turn the ignition.. I saw a nice spark..2nd thing that I did was to check for pressure @ the fuel filter ( plenty of gas, just sputtering out).. I went ahead and took the filter off and looked at the gas that was coming out of the fuel filter (blackish)..re-attached the fuel filter to the car and just let it sit overnight..I came out the next morning and BANG... the car started right up....I turned it off & replaced the fuel filter..the car was running fine and great acceleration...drove it about 30 miles and it stopped again......and would not start ( it turned over GREAT, but would not start)... I let it sit overnight again...came out the next morning and BANG ( it started right up) I jumped in the civic and drove it about 10 miles. the car ran good... BUT something is going on with this car & I can't trust driving it at the moment... ANY SUGGESTIONS? Sorry so long, guys/gals...