Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Honda Civic SI(EX in USA) oil leak, Pictures in side

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:13 AM
HCF Member
Default 1998 Honda Civic SI(EX in USA) oil leak, Pictures in side

Hey everyone...

I don't have much mechanical knowledge, so I figured i'd see what you guys could come up with this...

D16Y8 motor with 200,000 KM

My old Honda is leaking motor oil by the looks of it. I did clean the bottom of the pan, but it does look like there is oil everywhere around the pan (I assume from the long 10 hour trips out of town, and it shooting everywhere possible) but more so looking like there is oil coming from the belt side of the oil pan.

put cardboard under the car, and oil is dripping at most a few drops a day. nothing serious. and its been like this for over a month i would assume, due to the patch on my garage floor.

Oil light has not came on yet. (overfilled at the garage?)

So my questions are:

how serious is this? fix ASAP or as long as I re top fluid i should be okay in the mean time?
possible areas of where the leak could be coming from?
Long distance travel a bad idea?
How expensive could this be?

I could also de-grease the bottom better if you guys need a better idea of where the leak is coming from

Thanks in advance to any replies! Hope this fix isn't going to cost as much as my Civic, lol...

Attached Thumbnails 1998 Honda Civic SI(EX in USA) oil leak, Pictures in side-oil-pan-belt-side.jpg   1998 Honda Civic SI(EX in USA) oil leak, Pictures in side-oil-pan-bottom.jpg   1998 Honda Civic SI(EX in USA) oil leak, Pictures in side-oil-pan-front.jpg  

Last edited by Dumont; 08-07-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Extra info
Old 08-07-2017, 03:03 PM
HCF Member

Cleaned up the oil pan better, and it looks like a little bit of fresh oil is coming where the harmonic balancer is tied into the engine, or whatever is between the engine. from there i'am going to replace the seals inside there. I'am also going to replace the belts since that should also be done.

Does anyone know if I need to remove the oil pan?

Rough estimate on time to do the belts and the seals?

I hope that resolves the issue... Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have a zoom up of this shot. this is where the harmonic balancer connects to the engine. you can see the little hole, and im sure that looks like where the oil is coming from, changing this would solve my issue? or could be more issues besides that?

Attached Thumbnails 1998 Honda Civic SI(EX in USA) oil leak, Pictures in side-harmonic-balancer-engine-bad-seal.png