Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Civic LX, few issues - oil, coolant, o2 leak, etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Default 2000 Civic LX, few issues - oil, coolant, o2 leak, etc

I have a 2000 Civic LX that I've had a check engine light on pretty much since I bought it. The code that comes up says to replace the o2 sensor, which I have done twice, or the gas cap, which I did with an OEM. The other reason I forget, but we found a cracked catalytic converter along the way and welded it back to prevent replacement but the code will not go away, so it must be something else. I remember the other reasons for the code seemed far off and/or a pain in the ***.

The other is I go through a lot of oil. I got an oil change about a month ago and I have only gone about 3,000 miles and my low oil light kept coming on around turns, meaning I am damn near out. I should be using oil, but not going through it that quickly. I haven't noticed any leaks and we have already done a few things. I saw elsewhere on here that the PCV valve could be it, and I don't think we tried that.

My latest is I am burning through coolant. I must have a leak b/c I filled the reservoir tank last night but it's damn near gone today and my radiator doesn't have visible coolant in it. I did not see a leak and I'm going to investigate more thoroughly later.

Has anyone else seen these issues come up a lot or have any tips/suggestions? I thought I'd start a new thread in case any of these tie into each other. I am not the most mechanically inclined, so I only know a bit here and there. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Put some oil in now! When the light comes on that means there is zero oil pressure because the pump is sucking air. Severe damage can occur within seconds. Always keep an eye on the dipstick and add some as soon as it gets below the low mark.

Using more than a quart every 1000 miles is considered excessive and it's usually because the engine is worn out. You should of course check the PCV valve though.

Coolant is the same way don't keep driving when you know it is low or the engine will be toast.

Check carefully that the manifold is tight by having someone block the tailpipe with the engine idling. You listen up front for any gas hissing out.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:18 PM
HCF Member
Lightbulb

Hello,
I would think that if you are losing oil and coolant that you may have a bad head gasket or a cracked head. Check for an oil leak and an coolant leak if no leaks are found then you have bad gasket or cracked head. Hope you solve the problem, Please keep us posted on the progress. Thanks , 2010civiclx.