Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 civic lx, no start. HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Default 2000 civic lx, no start. HELP!!!!

im having a problem with my 200 honda civic (auto). last week my car started to act funny when starting. normaly i would start the car, the engine would rev about two times and then the car would start. last week, when i would tuen the key i had to hold it at the start position for about 6-10 secs, the engine would rev alot, then let the key go to the on position and it would start. this week, that dosent even work, it just keeps reving but it dosent kick over. i just replaced the starter, so its not that, the spark plugs are clean and when i cleaned them i smelled gas. dose anyone know what the problem is? i dont want to bring it to a garage and pay big bucks if i could repair it myself. i do have a haynes manual so if its sumthing easy then i could just do it myself.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2000 civic lx, no start. HELP!!!!

test the ignition control module and the coil. it says how to do it in your haynes. youll need a multimeter, but its easy. they are both in the distributor.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:05 PM

I was just reading online that there was a recall on ignition switch ofr my car. i didnt get that repalced, could that be the problem?

Old 04-03-2005, 08:09 PM
HCF Member

im sure it was recalled for a reason take it to the dealer if its a recall then its FREE!

Old 04-03-2005, 10:27 PM
HCF Member

i fit's not that check the IAT sensor i think it's called it is the equivalent to the cold start sensor in other cars.
just my 2 cents

Old 04-04-2005, 05:03 PM

If there is a recall for the switch, just call Honda up and give them your VIN. They will be able to tell you if it has been done to your vehicle already.

If your switch is not the culprit, definitely trace it to the coil, ignitor, distributor and the like...

No Check engine lights?

Old 04-04-2005, 07:55 PM

i called honda and was told that my car was "uneffected" from the recall. it seems there was only a few hundred thousand civics affeacted. oh well, tommorow im going to check the coil, icm, and distributor. if i can get a hold or mu friends multi-meter where could i find one? will autozone or advanced auto parts lend it out, or would i have to get my car there? where else could i find one?

Old 04-07-2005, 08:47 PM

i just tested the coil and icm they both work fine, do you think it could be the wires? how could i test to see if its the wires?

Old 04-09-2005, 05:43 PM
HCF Member

pull one of the spark plugs out, then stick it in the end of the wire (like it normally goes, just not installed into the engine) then hold the end of the plug against a metal part on the engine, and have someone crank it over. watch for a spark in the gap of the plug. if it sparks, go on to the next one. if all of them spark, then its not the ignition system or the wires. if even one of them sparks, its not the ignition system. it could also conceiveably be the ECU. ive heard of that happening. right Blackeyes?

Old 04-12-2005, 01:43 PM

Thanks everyone for your help, i found out the problem was the distributor. it had power but wasnt putting enough to start the car.

Quick Reply: 2000 civic lx, no start. HELP!!!!