Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Civic LX Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:18 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2000 Civic LX Won't Start

no need to remove the lower cover to chk proper timing, just align the natches on the cover with the ones on the pulley, make sure the camshafts alignment marks line up .. if they dont timing is off ,( belt slipped. , if they do than the cause is not the timing ..
also with top cover off, feel the tension on the timing belt if it has good tension i doubt that the belt slipped ,, if it feels loose than chk for proper timing set up
is the chk engine lite on when you turn ign switch on ??

Old 08-30-2006, 09:25 AM

Ok, I am ready to burn the honda to the effin ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now completely at a loss. Here is what happened and what I have done. Maybe you guys will have a sugegstion.

1. car stalled while accelerating. RPM's dropped, stalled and will not restart.

2. Replaced Battery and all cables

3. Replaced Fuel Filter

4. Replaced Distributor Cap

5. Replaced Rotor

6. Fuel Pressure is at 70 PSI and steady. No decline in pressure.

7. Timing Belt is intact, no teeth missing and there is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch play. No dry rot, seperation, or cracking.

8. The cog or wheel, what ever you call it, turns when the key is turned and belt makes complete revolution.

9. With the cover removed all the pistons.valves or what ever you call them, seem to be operating correctly i.e., lifting and falling.

10. I have spark on all four spark plugs

11. There is a small, very small, amount of fuel in each cylinder after attempting to start the car.

12. The plugs are all in good condition.

13. I sprayed starter fluid in to the intake but the car still did not start.

14. I attched the Noid light to all four fuel injector connections and got no light at all. My only question on that is that the Noid light I attached had GM TPI on the tester itself. I bought a kit with 6 Noid Lights in it and this is the only one that fit. I don't know if that makes a diffrence or not. I tried all of the others just to see if I could get any signal at all and got none.

I am at a point now that I don't have a clue as to where to go. My hunch is that whatever is happening is now an electrical or computer issue. Any suggestions would be a big help. I am thinking the Ignition Control Module, or the PCM. I can't the thing to run so I can't get it to a tester. I hate to think I am going to have to buy one just for this, but I am at a loss. For that matter I don't even know if the thing would work if the car won't run.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:20 PM
HCF Member

i dont know what #14 is.
you still have not said if you set timing.
i would not set it at TDC.
just set it to the BTDC.
the setting is printed on a sticker under the hood

Old 08-30-2006, 09:27 PM

why not if u think its your ecu, find one of your friends with the same car and swap computers. at least that would eliminate one thing. honestly the timing can be a very big issue. i had one slip on me and i never even knew it, but the car stayed running long enough to bend some valves. i would definitally try the electrical end before the mechanical. i guanantee thats its something simple that will smack u in the face!!!!! god luck.