Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic Blows 10A DRL Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:53 PM
HCF Member
Default 2001 Civic Blows 10A DRL Fuse

Here is the full meal deal. This Canadian Civic has a Daytime Running Light Module AND a Daytime Running Light Relay, two different animals. The reason why the 10A fuse was blowing was because of the RELAY, not the MODULE. The problem with the relay is that there is a snubber diode across the COIL IN THE RELAY that was shorted out. I replaced the diode with a 1N4001 to fix the problem. The DRL Module is under the dash to the Left side of the steering wheel. The RELAY is behind the glove compartment on the LEFT side of the Glove Compartment opening. There are two relays on the left, a black and a gray, the gray DRL RELAY is forward of the black relay. You can remove the cover of the DRL Relay to fix, it has the markings "MITSUBA RC-5102". The DRL Module is labeled "MITSUBA RZ-0126". The DRL MOdule also has two relays inside, along with about 50 discrete components, that may or may not have "bad solder joints" in the development progress, which may or may not have contributed to the death of the snubber diode in the DRL RELAY. Thats all folks!!!!

Old 03-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Default RE: 2001 Civic Blows 10A DRL Fuse

Thank a lot for the info.... i had the same problem but i didnt know where that DRL module was, i open it and sure enough there was some bad solder joints on both relays, i resoldered them and it work perfect now.

Thanks again

Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Thumbs up RE: 2001 Civic Blows 10A DRL Fuse

Thanks you very much civic 2001. I was having all kinds of issue with my headlights. First when I turned the car on there was a loud buzzing sound coming from under the glove compartment and the right light was out. When I flipped on the headlights they both worked and the buzzing stopped. When I turned on the highbeems again the right light went out.

I pulled the relay out from under the glovebox (labelled MITSUBA RC-5102) as instructed and simply re-inserted in. For now the buzzing noise has stopped entirely and the headlights worked perfect on all settings. If it acts up again I will replace the relay under the glove box as it seems to be the source of the buzzing and the headlight issues.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by dutchcivicdriver
Thanks you very much civic 2001. I was having all kinds of issue with my headlights. First when I turned the car on there was a loud buzzing sound coming from under the glove compartment and the right light was out. When I flipped on the headlights they both worked and the buzzing stopped. When I turned on the highbeems again the right light went out.

I pulled the relay out from under the glovebox (labelled MITSUBA RC-5102) as instructed and simply re-inserted in. For now the buzzing noise has stopped entirely and the headlights worked perfect on all settings. If it acts up again I will replace the relay under the glove box as it seems to be the source of the buzzing and the headlight issues.
Replacing the relay will not help IF you do not fix the solder joints. And, because the relay is chattering it has not yet been destroyed. You must find the DRL module LH side of the steering column near the LH wall under the dash, open it up and use a soldering iron to heat up the cracks visible in the solder.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Default You were Right

Yes, as you say the buzzing started up again and I ended up replacing both the relay under the glove box and the module left of the steering column. I did the fix a few months ago and the problem is fixed for good this time.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by civic2001
Replacing the relay will not help IF you do not fix the solder joints. And, because the relay is chattering it has not yet been destroyed. You must find the DRL module LH side of the steering column near the LH wall under the dash, open it up and use a soldering iron to heat up the cracks visible in the solder.
I don't have the know how to solder the joints so I got a new relay (left hand side of the steering column) and replaced it. I replaced the module behind the dash also. All is now fixed - thank you.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 AM

civic2001 Thanks for the info on this problem. I have identical symptoms and have gotten the questionable answers from mechanics, such as the bulb is gone so is making the DRLM act up. Except that the bulb will work perfectly at times then stop working on high beam. If it is bad it is unlike any light bulb I have ever encountered. I'll try soldering the connections on the module on the driver's side. Since I still get the buzz I assume the DRL relay is still good and doesn't need to be soldered or repaired, is that right?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:03 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by halifax11
civic2001 thanks for the info on this problem. I have identical symptoms and have gotten the questionable answers from mechanics, such as the bulb is gone so is making the drlm act up. Except that the bulb will work perfectly at times then stop working on high beam. If it is bad it is unlike any light bulb i have ever encountered. I'll try soldering the connections on the module on the driver's side. Since i still get the buzz i assume the drl relay is still good and doesn't need to be soldered or repaired, is that right?
yes!!!!