Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 EX - Hesitation/Stumbles on Acceleration and Stumbles/Stalls in Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Default 2001 EX - Hesitation/Stumbles on Acceleration and Stumbles/Stalls in Idle

Hello,
This is my first thread and since i have tapped out my limited knowledge on car maintenance and online research I figured I would give this a whirl. I bought a 2001 civic EX with these known issues figuring I could correct them:
1) Engine stumbles and dogs on acceleration in all gears. As the car warms the stumbling lessons but remains.
2) At idle the engine irregularly drops, stumbles, and sometimes stalls.
Does anyone know if these problems are linked or separate. I assume there is some crossover in issues.
I replaced the spark plugs and I intend to install new ignition coils and a new fuel filter when they arrive in the mail. I bought a haynes manual and it says the possible problems could be: faulty emissions systems (Not too sure what that is), fuel injection vacuum leak, intake manifold leak, or vacuum hose leak.
Also perhaps the EGR needs replacement.
If anyone has insight into these issues i would love to hear them. Thanks!

Last edited by hutchhonda; 10-03-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you checked for ECU codes? With a used car, it is likely someone took the bulb out of the check engine light (or just ignored it for long enough until the bulb burned out). The light should come on for 2 seconds when you turn the key on but don't start.

Lack of power and won't go above about 3000 rpm is often because the timing belt is out of time. Valve adjustment (too tight) causes loss of compression and dead cylinders especially at idle.

Last edited by mk378; 10-04-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:45 AM

thanks for the reply mk378,
Yes the check engine light was on and yes I have had the codes checked. Initially there were several. We checked at my buddies house and it came up with codes having to do with 2 cylinders misfiring, a catalytic thing (i cant remember exactly), and EGR valve issue. The mechanic replaced one ignition coil which apparently took care of the misfire code, and they checked the EGR and said it was ok...
Is correcting valve adjustment capable with general tools or do you need spacific items? Thanks!

Old 10-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Valve adjustment is done with common tools, but you need to follow the procedure exactly for correct results. I don't know if it is posted on this forum but you should be able to find it somewhere on the internet.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
Valve adjustment is done with common tools, but you need to follow the procedure exactly for correct results. I don't know if it is posted on this forum but you should be able to find it somewhere on the internet.
Replaced the Ignition coils. seems to idle a bit better but not Great. Found some vids on Valve replacement - will do this week. Do you think the EGR Could be faulty (would a bad EGR cause the car to irregularly idle and/or stumble on acceleration)? thanks

Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

EGR valve stuck open might do that. The EGR is supposed to stay closed while idling. That is an unusual failure though. Usually the problem is the passages are clogged up and/or the valve is stuck closed and so you don't get any flow while driving, which the ECU will detect and complain about.

A compression test would help tell if there are internal problems with the engine.

Last edited by mk378; 10-08-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 AM

I had the same problem ended up changing one of the faulty ignition coil cleaning the egr and replacing the Oxygen sensor and seems to be working better you should try to change the upstream o2 sensor that might o the trick.
My car would bog down when cold only in gear but it would idle normal in neutral but only lasted till the car Warmed up.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by tejarillo14
I had the same problem ended up changing one of the faulty ignition coil cleaning the egr and replacing the Oxygen sensor and seems to be working better you should try to change the upstream o2 sensor that might o the trick.
My car would bog down when cold only in gear but it would idle normal in neutral but only lasted till the car Warmed up.
Cool! I didn't know you could clean out the EGR. I'll go for the o2 sensor too. Thanks!