Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Honda Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Default 2000 Honda Civic EX

Hey everyone.. I’ve replaced the Radiator, thermostat(Twice) and the temp. sensor... And my temp gauge still goes higher than normal with no signs whatsoever of overheating/steam... Would it be an electrical issue, or something else entirely? Also if it helps, my dash lights sometimes don’t work ever since roughly October 2017 and me smacking/tapping my dash has made the lights work again. I've also replaced the gauge cluster and the same thing still persists. I had the Timing belt and water pump just under 10K miles ago, and I've got roughly 182,1xx miles on my car right now. It only happens when I put the gas pedal to the floor, and if I drive normal, it stays at normal temp(Just below the temperature symbol) Any advice help would be appreciated, also I am not too mechanically inclined.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:03 AM

Do you have an OBD scanner? That could show you real time temperatures to confirm if you are actually overheating or not.

There are two coolant temp sensors on the motor. One that communicates with the ECU and another that sends a signal to the dash. Were both replaced? If you locate the sensor that feeds to the dash board, inspect the wiring. A break in the wiring (if it touches metal to short out) could cause the gauge to rise - although this is a long shot.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:15 AM

I do have an OBD scanner, the shop I took it to says that the temp stays normal, also I’m not sure, all they said is that they replaced the coolant temp sensor.