Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic DX valve or timing belt issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:32 AM
Default 2002 Civic DX valve or timing belt issue?

Greetings,
Finally after many years, I purchased a 2002 Civic 1.7 4door with manual trans. Car has 225,000 km's or approx 140,000 miles. Same old story, guy I bought it from said it needs nothing. Gas and go. Nope. I replaced the clutch, front wheel bearings, both ball joints, and needs windshield for dot.
A) I'm really worried about the timing belt issues on these engines. I asked dufus that I bought the car from when timing belt last done, and his reply...no idea. I had my mechanic look visually at part of the belt when he was doing clutch and said he couldn't see any belt dust or cracking. Does the engine make any noise if the belt is worn? Is there any performance issues if the belt is starting to go? I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette and wondering if today is the day the belt explodes. Unfortunately I'm tapped out and money tree won't start blooming for a few more months.

B) How can you tell if valves need adjusting? As I rev up when changing gears, I hear a noise from engine. Not sure if that is just an inherit noise with all 1.7's?

Thank you,
Cragar,
Georgian Bay, CA

Old 03-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You should replace the timing belt soon. There is no warning when they go bad. It is very difficult to tell from a visual inspection. The belt job is much simpler than on many other cars. I would rate it as intermediate DIY difficulty, though you really need an impact wrench to remove the crank pulley bolt.

Valve noise sounds like a metallic tapping or rattling from the top of the engine. It gets quieter after the engine warms up. Even properly adjusted you will hear some, but it is worse if the valves need adjusting. Since the valve cover needs to be lifted to R&R timing belt anyway, this is a good time to adjust the valves.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 PM
HCF Member

the belt is due a 110,000 miles but considering honda was sued over there digital mileage gauges being off you should have no problems going a couple more months.