Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic strange clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:33 AM
Default 2002 Civic strange clunking noise

The car in question is not mine, but belongs to a good friend of mine. For months now she has been hearing a sharp "clunk" noise from the front end of her car. It's a 2002 Civic LX automatic with 144k (very hard abused) miles on it. The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side but it's hard to tell. No particular action seems to trigger the noise. It's more frequent when driving around neighborhoods with lots of turning at low speeds, but will also occur randomly while driving down the road at any speed. Sometimes it happens while going around corners, sometimes going straight, sometimes over bumps, sometimes on smooth pavement. There is no noticeable feeling generated by the clunk--no shudder in the steering wheel or anything like that. While I was rotating her tires I got up under the car and took a look around...though pretty much all the rubber bushings are certainly wearing out, nothing looks like it's outright failed just yet. There is a shake in the steering wheel around 55/60 mph, but the clunk doesn't seem to coincide with that.

Anyone got any ideas as to what the problem is? I keep telling her to have it checked out but she hasn't yet, so I figured I would ask here and see if anyone has any ideas.

Oh, I almost forgot that I got a photo of this suspension component that looks suspect...I'm no Honda mechanic so I'm not sure what this is supposed to look like. This was on the passenger side, the driver's side didn't look quite as worn.

Name:  3BEDAB24-A6EF-475E-A050-09B8CC6EDD20_zpsmlotuhgh.jpg
Views: 2875
Size:  85.9 KB

Last edited by TheRustySuper; 10-02-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:13 PM
HCF Member

well there's your problem a torn lower control arm bushing otherwise know as compliance bushings. there notorious for failure from 01-05 civics.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That is definitely shot. If you look at the bottom right of the picture there is evidence of metal on metal contact between the arm and the frame, which is your clunk.

Part #12: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...tcgry5=KNUCKLE

Parts #10 and 11 are the complete arms with both bushings already installed, but going that route is kind of expensive.

Last edited by mk378; 10-02-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the input, I'll let the owner know that's what the problem is. Is this a particularly difficult DIY? I don't mind doing relatively minor things for my friends on their cars but if it's too in depth I usually recommend going to a shop. I'll do some research on my own but if you guys have any more input (such as how much a shop would charge for this job) I would love to hear it.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:52 PM
HCF Member

its not really a job for a novice you have to remove the control arm ball joints then cut out the bushing and press in the new bushing. you need special tools to do it but you can rent the tools for free at most parts stores if your up for the job. there are lots of DIY threds and vids on youtube. if i was you i wouldn't use OEM rubber bushing instead use Energy Suspension Polyurethane those will last forever. you can also remove the control arms then have a shop press in the new bushings. here are the poly bushings also some good quality after market control arms.
Energy Suspension Control Arm Bushing - Honda Civic 01-05 - Front End
Dezod Motorsports. Control Arms

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 10-03-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:27 AM

I was doing some poking around on the Interweb today and noticed that there are some DIY's out there about using polyurethane to repair the bushing rather than replace it. The car isn't really worth any money (very poor cosmetic condition) and the owner hopes to replace it relatively soon, so she's trying to keep costs down. If there's any question about safety though I'll just have her buy the new ones.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:03 PM
HCF Member

ive seen the DIY you speak off it can work if done properly but will make the ride stiff and harsh. if your going to remove the control arm to ghetto rig the bushing why not just replace it with a basic rubber one ???. like i said before you can rent the press tool for free at autozone.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:36 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking. What kind of tool should I ask for specifically? I'm sure they carry lots of different presses and I always end up with the wrong thing if I don't know exactly what I need lol

Old 10-08-2014, 03:52 PM
HCF Member

its a lower control arm bushing tool its basically just a C- clamp just make sure you get the rite honda adapter. your also going to need a pitman ball joint puller.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Civic strange clunking noise-51youiysj2l._sl500_aa300_.jpg  
Old 11-13-2014, 09:11 AM

Okay so I've got an update and another question for you all. I drove this car the other day, which still hasn't had the control arm bushings replaced. It was utterly terrifying, the car wandered all over the road, pulled HARD to the right (Let go of the wheel and you'd be in a ditch) and hardly stopped making knocking and popping noise while going along, from both front wheels. At this point the control arms are pretty much sitting on the frame. It's scrubbed the crap outta the passenger front tire, which is about worn through to the cords.

I've been trying to urge the owner to get these replaced ASAP, but it hasn't happened yet. My question to you all: Is this car even safe to drive anymore? My guess is no, but maybe some second opinions will convince the owner to get these parts replaced before something catastrophic happens.

Quick Reply: 2002 Civic strange clunking noise