Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 DX Rough Idle, Poor Fuel Mileage, Loss of Power in Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Unhappy 2004 DX Rough Idle, Poor Fuel Mileage, Loss of Power in Acceleration

I have a 2004 DX, 2dr that I am literally at my wits end with. I've done everything that was suggested to me to no avail-

New Air Filter
New Spark Plugs
Had fuel injectors inspected and paid to have them cleaned (although the tech told me the cleaning really wasn't necessary, after the fact).

It is not stalling, but this morning I noticed the vibration at idle is getting worse. I have a lack of power at acceleration, and my fuel mileage is shot. Other than the usual cold morning hesitation, I have not had any problems with the car starting.

What is my next step? Fuel filter? It's something I have to take the car to a mechanic for, as it is an internal fuel filter (?) within the fuel tank. That was pretty lousy of Honda to do, taking away another thing that the common person could do on their own and save money.

Any insight or direction would be much appreciated.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the check engine light on? If so, get the code scanned. Another thing that can cause this is having the timing belt skip, so the valves are out of time with the pistons. A partly clogged fuel filter will still usually idle OK, but starve for gas when you try to go fast.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 PM

The check engine light is not on. I even took it to a local parts store to have them run a scan just in case, and nothing came up.

I notice a significant difference in fuel mileage in the freeway compared to inner-city driving, more than I usually would. Also, when I rev the engine, the vibration at idle seems to disappear while RPMs are increased.