Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2005 civic waterpump problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Default 2005 civic waterpump problems?

I have a 2005 Civic and the car seems to leak coolant only when the vehicle is in motion and the rpms are high (there is never a stain on the pavement under my car when i park it for a period of time.)

Ive talked to a few different mechanics and back yard mechanics and they said it sounds like it could be the water pump failing. Im wondering if anyone else had a problem like this and/or what your opinions on this would be.

and if it sounds like it could be the pump, where could i get good instructions on how to do the job?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 AM
HCF Member

so if you rev it while in your parking spot it doesnt leak? Only leaks when you're moving? Now that's an interesting problem.

Find out where it's leaking. If it's from the waterpump you'll see it gushing out of the bottom of the timing belt cover.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I'd be thinking head gasket here. Slow leaks won't do drastic stuff like water in the oil or lots of smoke. You will just lose coolant slowly, especially at speed, either from being sucked into the cylinders or displaced out of the radiator and reservoir tank.

Leakage from the water pump would be apparent either where boiler1 said, or from the "weep hole" on the back of the engine.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 AM

Okay thank yOu for the posts!

In theory if I run the engine under higher Rpms it should leak coolant? I dunno just a thought.

Is there a good way to check the head gasket?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:00 PM
HCF Member

Not really. The cooling system pressurizes when the engine heats up, this is what your radiator cap regulates. The waterpump simply pushes the pressurized coolant through the system. The only big difference in rpms is the speed the waterpump pushes the coolant. It's possible that you have a leak on the waterpump impeller shaft that gets worse as it goes faster, but again, you really need to find out where it's leaking first before we do any more guessing.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Default Did you fix your overheat problem?

Originally Posted by kingmike678
I have a 2005 Civic and the car seems to leak coolant only when the vehicle is in motion and the rpms are high (there is never a stain on the pavement under my car when i park it for a period of time.)

Ive talked to a few different mechanics and back yard mechanics and they said it sounds like it could be the water pump failing. Im wondering if anyone else had a problem like this and/or what your opinions on this would be.

and if it sounds like it could be the pump, where could i get good instructions on how to do the job?

Wanted to know if you have fixed your overheat problem. I also own 2005 honda civic that have a similar problem. I also think it could be a waterpump problem. I do not know for sure. When the vehicle goes on incline road or I make sharp turn, the temp needle suddenly spike up to about 3/4 then when road level off, it comes back to slight above middle or normal. I would appreciate any feedback from you or someone else who have a similar problem.

thanks!!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:08 PM

yeah, i dunno i cant figure it out. I put cardboard under the car, ran the car for a while, to get it hot. even held it at 2000 to 2500 rpms for like 5 minutes........... no drips. guess the only logical way to figure out what the problem really is, is to keep an eye on it, and kinda way for it to get worse so i can really find what the problem is. i will continue to ask around and get feedback from different people about the issue to see if we could come up witha solution.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 PM

You didn't say how many miles were on your car. I had a GMB water pump go at 30,000 miles. I was on vacation drove 1250 miles. I was lucky it blew in my driveway. If the pump goes and you are driving you have the possibility of ruining the engine. I was lucky. I have my timinng belt and water pump changed every 90,000. You have an 05 if you drive as much as I do 20,000 a year it might be time. Just a thought.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:00 PM
HCF Member
Default yup

i started a thread about my 98 civic, had the pump changed out at 100k, now im at 200k and ive run pressure tests on radiator, cylinders and checked for exhaust in the coolant, all negative which leads me to belive its a water pump issue but a slow one. the car runs fine for about 40-50 miles then while idling it over heats to 1/2 or 3/4, then when hitting 2k rpm is fine, my theory is at low rpm the pump cant move enough coolant through the system but at 2k or more its fine...
All the pressure tests I did would not indicate a blown head gasket , but now I cant get a response from the guys after I did everything they said. I think they just like throwing around the words blown head gasket to get everyone scared. this is a honda were talking about here boys, car will beat any american made piece of junk any day of the week. take ur blown head gaskets and chevys and hit the scrap pile!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Smile Got car fixed finally

Originally Posted by kingmike678
yeah, i dunno i cant figure it out. I put cardboard under the car, ran the car for a while, to get it hot. even held it at 2000 to 2500 rpms for like 5 minutes........... no drips. guess the only logical way to figure out what the problem really is, is to keep an eye on it, and kinda way for it to get worse so i can really find what the problem is. i will continue to ask around and get feedback from different people about the issue to see if we could come up witha solution.

Hi Kingmike678,

Just wanted to updated you about my 2005 civic overheating that seem to have the same symtom as your car. Originally I thought the problem was the waterpump. Turns out to be my worst nightmare..it was hairline crack in my cyl. aluminum head. My mechanic was able to weld the crack and save the cyl. head. It cost me 800 bucks which I did not have to begin with. My mechanic put in new gasket, machined head & valves, replaced valve seals, change oil, and coolant. I am glad this nightmare is over. Its difficult to get around without a car.

Anyway good luck with your car and new place.

b0j1e1722

Quick Reply: 2005 civic waterpump problems?