Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Civic completely dead and a Freon leak....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Default 2007 Civic completely dead and a Freon leak....

I have a 2007 Honda Civic. I have discovered it has a freon leak.
but I'm also having another issue. My car will not start. You turn the key and nothing happens. Keyless entry doesnt work ethier. If you jump the car it will run like normal. Freon is leaking i can smell it and see where it is leaking. But I don't know why my car will not start. Battery and alternator are good. Someone suggested that my air conditioner compressor is running down my battery? Is this a possibility if so is there a way to unhook my compressor so I can drive my car until I can get the compressor fixed? I'm at a loss of what to do

Old 04-15-2018, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

You say your battery and alternator are good. Did you have them both checked and tested at an auto parts store? Battery should be load tested. Alternator possibly bench tested or tested in car while running. I'm not just talking about checking for 12volts with a multimeter. That won't tell you if the battery is capable of cranking the starter. It will just tell you if you have 12v to listen to the radio or blow the horn.
If you can start your car by jumping it, that tells me your battery or battery cable clamp connections to the battery are not good. If your battery load tests OK, then you need to remove the battery clamps and clean everything. Put a little dielectric grease on the connections before you hook everything back up.
As far as smelling Freon, you won't smell it for long because if you have an A/C Freon leak, your Freon will be gone in a few minutes and you won't have to worry about that. You could be smelling something else like a heater core leak. That would smell very sweet and you might have steam on the windows or a damp carpet on the passenger side floor. I've just never heard of anyone smelling Freon. Good luck and let me know what you find.
Duane