Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 civic unusual OEM tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Default 2007 civic unusual OEM tire wear

I have a civic 07 lx with 23000 KM and have a very unusual OEM tire wear problem. Tires were rotated approx every 6000 KM. 1 tire is completely worn out, 2nd and 3rd tire are 75% worn and 4th tire is 25% worn. WTF is going on? Does the civic have an unusual weight distribution to cause this kind of tire wear? Just put on new winters today and would like to resolve the tire wear issue before the winters are destroyed.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Default RE: 2007 civic unusual OEM tire wear

sounds like u need an alignment.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The tires that come with a new car are the cheapest the manufacturer could find-- usually pretty lousy. But definitely have the alignment checked.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito.... alignment..

BUT before we say definatly alignment..... can you get pictures of the tire wear? are they even wear, one outside corner worn, center worn or both outter sides worn?

their are several things... most common right now both outter sides worn bad, due from tires not inflated properly, due to the cold temps the pressure drops.... if the middle is worn bad then the tires are OVER filled to much PSI....

but if only one outter side edge then definatly alignment needs to be done!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:44 AM

Took it to the dealer today. Was asked to bring the vehicle back on the 7th when they have a full staff. Dealer could not give an explanation why the unusal tire wear. Coast tire who put my winters on found the wear unusal too and asked if I bought a wrecked civic that was "fixed up". Umm no the civic was new from the the dealer- March 2007

Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

Honda Canada have issued a TSB to the dealers. You need a newly designed rear wheel Camber Control Arm. At 13,000 kM my front tires were 85% remaining while my rear were only 30% remaining. Alignment WILL NOT HELP until these arms are replaced. On my 07 Civic EX the rear wheels would TOE OUT if I raised the chassis and vice versa when compressed.Problem alsoknown as the "dancing rear end" because of the weird handling on ice and in strong cross winds. The rear end starts to steer itself independent of the fron end. I am waiting for parts as we speak.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 AM

My 2006 with 24k miles is at the dealer today for the rear control arm fix.
The rear tire wear was truly amazing, and potentially dangerous.
What I am having trouble understanding is how the new control arm is supposed to prevent this from recurring.
Are there any knowledgeable mechanical folks out there in the forum?
Seems to me that ANY shape of the control arm still merely connects the two end points in a given arc. But perhaps the angle of rotation is different, if the mounts are at a revised angle?
...Al

Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 AM
HCF Member

pickles70, all I can is that the bumper to bumper should cover everything, take it to the dealer and force them to fix everything at no cost.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:55 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civic2001
Honda Canada have issued a TSB to the dealers. You need a newly designed rear wheel Camber Control Arm. At 13,000 kM my front tires were 85% remaining while my rear were only 30% remaining. Alignment WILL NOT HELP until these arms are replaced. On my 07 Civic EX the rear wheels would TOE OUT if I raised the chassis and vice versa when compressed.Problem alsoknown as the "dancing rear end" because of the weird handling on ice and in strong cross winds. The rear end starts to steer itself independent of the fron end. I am waiting for parts as we speak.
It is now about 18 months later and I still have the "07 Civic rear tire wear" problem BUT I think I know the cause. If you carry any kind of weight in the back of a 06 to 08 Civic, the rear suspension design will chew up your rear tires. When the rear suspension is loaded down, the camber goes more negative (inward at top) WHICH changes the rear TOE (more TOE IN). In other words, push down on the rear chassis and the rear wheel Camber increases AND the TOE IN increases (moves toward the center of the vehicle). The dealerships cannot do anything about it other then to tell you NOT to carry any weight in the trunk and limit yourself to one passenger for extended trips. The OEM and TSB 08-001 Camber Arms DO NOT allow for adjustment, they are fixed. I have installed a 3rd party (SPC) "adjustable" rear camber control arm and set the "no load" camber at Zero degrees AND I have aligned the rear TOE IN to ZERO degrees at empty (minimum fuel, no people and no weight). When I load the car evenly (front and back seats) with 250 pounds of weight and a full tank of fuel my rear alignment is right on spec (Camber -0.75 degrees and TOE IN at 0.10 Degrees).
Next I am in the market for air bags so we can use this car for our twice annual 1800 mile (3600 mile return) Snowbird Trip where we load a lot of baggage. To date I have destroyed 3 pairs of rear tires, it has been a real learning experience.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Please post an update if you find an "air suspension" for your car that you like. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2007 civic unusual OEM tire wear