Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 Honda Civic LX Various Problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Unhappy 2008 Honda Civic LX Various Problems :(

Hi everyone! I just have a small issue that I'd love to figure out if anyone would like to help.

I bought a 2008 Honda Civic LX(4cyl 1.8) with 35000 miles on it from Stevenson Honda in Wilmington, NC about a year ago. It was super quiet and super smooth for a good 9000 miles(at about 44000 total miles). Currently I've had no problems except for some gradually increasing Vibration throughout the car throughout the year. Currently it is at 55,000 miles. At this point the vibration feels pretty horrible and even passengers notice it and ask questions.
Some symptoms I've noticed:
When started up, the vibration is rough and loud along with the idling generally being at 1000 to 1300k RPM.
I've noticed over the year my fuel economy has slowly gone down from the 36 to what almost feels and looks more like 30.
When idling, in Park, or neutral, the vibration is noticeable and even shakes my my drink.
When in reverse it basically rattles everything in the car.
In Drive, Drive 3, Drive 2, or Drive 1 - It seems to calm down a lot. Once moving I can't really tell.
After driving for a couple minutes, the idling tends to be a lot lower - Down in the 500 rpm area. However vibration continues.
The engine is fairly audible in every gear. No strange knocking that I can hear.
This is all under 0 load besides the basics.

I've already replaced the spark plugs and ignition coils. Nothing seems to have changed.

Has anyone else run into the same problem or similar? Any suggestions or ideas for me?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 PM

I'm no expert on civics or cars in general for that matter, but because nobody else seems to be responding I'll throw in my 2 cents:

The RPM's starting high and then getting lower after the car warms up seems normal to me. Usually engines run more efficiently when warmed up, and so newer cars will adjust the idle higher in order to reach optimal running temp more quickly. Once the temperature is right, the idle goes back down.

One component that's responsible for reducing vibration caused by the engine is the rubber bushings that the motor is mounted to (the motor mounts). I would check, or have a technician check these motor mounts to make sure that they aren't worn out. These sorts of things are built in to reduce the natural vibration of the engine, even when the engine is running correctly. If the mounts are worn out your car could be perfectly healthy but vibrating like crazy.

If the mounts aren't the issue then it could be that the engine is struggling, or that another component of the drivetrain such as your driveshaft or your transmission is rattling or being moved in some way that it isn't supposed to.

In any case if you can't tell just by looking if the mounts are worn out or where specifically the vibration is coming from, I would say take it in to have it looked at ASAP before a really essential component of the car gets damaged and you have to shell out $$$$.

Keep us updated!

best,
Dustin

Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 AM

Thanks. I guess my only option left is to take it to the dealer and get it checked out as far as the transmission. I had the front end checked out for the engine mounts and they said they all looked perfect(at SEARS auto). They didn't charge me thankfully.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Default Fixed?

Did you happen to get the issue taken care of? I am havign the same exact issue! To the T.