Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

3qt oil GONE in 200 mi - HELP - pic of leak pg2

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Default 3qt oil GONE in 200 mi - HELP - pic of leak pg2

(99 civic si)[/align][/align]yep, i just fill with oil, and after about 200 miles it's 3 qts low. first time, the oil light went on. second time, i checked after the same amount of miles from the first time;i did not wait for the light this time, but the oil was low again.[/align][/align]im about to do it a 3rd time. im really babyin it too -- i rarely let the vtec ever kick in.[/align][/align]damn, previous owner fcked it up.[/align][/align]anyone got any advice?[/align][/align][/align] [/align][/align][/align]*edit - i dont see any leaks when cold, and i dont see a cloud of smoke in my rear view at all.[/align][/align]could it be leaking pretty bad when actively driving?[/align]

Old 05-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 3qt oil GONE in 200 mi - HELP

Is the engine leaking oil or is it burning it or both?

Old 05-07-2008, 02:25 PM

oh ya, i forgot to mention those.[/align][/align]it leaks, but very minor -- i think it should be literally pissing oil at the rate it's losing. but, i barely see anything on the ground from where i park.[/align][/align]im sure it's burning, too -- just by simply swiping my finger off the bumper just above the exhaust i can see the burnt oil on my finger.[/align][/align]similar to leaking, shouldn't it be shooting a cloud of smoke behind me at the rate it's losing oil, too? and that's not the case.[/align]

Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The oil may be leaking primarily when you are driving. When you look at the engine from above and below, can you find a location where you think the leak might be? If so, post some pictures. While parked in the driveway, you might also try running the engine when it is full of oil to see if it helps locate the leak.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 PM

When engine off there is no oil pressure. When it is on it may leak more. After it warms up at idle 5 minutes the leak may show up.

Look to see where it is running out of engine. This is sort of duhhuh stuff.

Rings might be gone/damaged. Check cyl pressures. If it gets hot they get broke/weak and if you put a new head on it breaks them rest of way cause of increased pressures. smokey.

Blown head gasket, cracked block, cracked head. I didnt see anything about lots of smoke.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM

When you drive fast the smoke dissapates real fast so it doesn't seem like much. Smoke at idle fills the mirror.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Burning oil at that rate you would see a big cloud of smoke behind the car when you press medium to hard on the gas. Have someone follow you in another car and watch for smoke. When the rings are bad, it may not smoke much or at all at idle but it will burn like crazy under load.

If there is little or no smoke it must be leaking.

Goes without saying but don't drive until the oil light comes on, ever. When the light comes on you have no oil pressure at all because there isn't enough oil to reach the pump. That will almost immediately ruin the engine if it isn't already.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 AM

i brought this attention to a mechanic over the phone at Honda, and they plainly said i need a new motor.[/align][/align]seems majority of everyone here agree that its a bad leak. (i hope so, too)[/align][/align]if the rings are bad, is it fixable? or does that mean i need a new motor? because i know leaks can be fixed...[/align]

Old 05-08-2008, 09:36 AM

I dont think it is time to assume you need a motor. Mechanics like to make a lot of money replacing stuff. Especially a big job like a motor.

You need to find and stop the oil leak and check other stuff before trying to replace an engine. Engine is the last step.

Yes on leaking when driving. The oil pump is not working when the car is stopped so there is no oil pressure.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Snail'n Admin

ORIGINAL: cachenut

I dont think it is time to assume you need a motor. Mechanics like to make a lot of money replacing stuff. Especially a big job like a motor.

You need to find and stop the oil leak and check other stuff before trying to replace an engine. Engine is the last step.

Yes on leaking when driving. The oil pump is not working when the car is stopped so there is no oil pressure.
I work at Honda and they dont get paid for the job they do..they get paid per hour, ridiculous price yes, but if its not him its someone else. Piston rings are fixable, not the most enjoyable job ever but it can be done. Did you do a compression test? Wet or dry?

Quick Reply: 3qt oil GONE in 200 mi - HELP - pic of leak pg2