Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

84 Civic Won't start w/o pouring gas in carb

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Default 84 Civic Won't start w/o pouring gas in carb

Several years ago, I broke the camshaft in my 84 Civic DX. Was travelling and was extorted out of $1500 US toreplaceit. When it was put back together, it ran very poorly. I watched the mechanic turning various screws on the carburetor to get it running. Since I was on my way to a job site (and very late) I limped on to the job with the car barely able to stay running and the car has never run since. I have tried to make some adjustments. The car will only start if you pour a small amount of gas in the carb. It will run until the gas is gone the first time or two. Then, after that I can get it to stay running as long as I rev the engine. It will only run while you have a foot on the accelerator (or work the throttle from the engine compartment. I can increase the idle speed to keep it running (after it is warm) but if it dies, no amount of cranking will get it to start. It doesn't even act like its getting fire, but it it is. If I have it running and warm, it seems to have all of its old pep, I just can not start it without pouring gas in the carb. At first I was thinking it wassome sort of adjustment issue, or even a non working choke. But, after reading every post on this site about non-starting and poor idling, etc, Iam now thinking it is a part that is connected to and regulating (or better, NOT regulating) that impossibly complicated carberator.Can anyone help (the Haines manual is useless on this.) (None of the vehicles in the posts on the site are as old as mine and most have more electronic things that can go bad. And, although I have had this car for 19 years, I have never had to work on anything on the car other than replace break pads, oil, spark plugs, etc. I am lost on the carberator issue.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Default RE: 84 Civic Won't start w/o pouring gas in carb

Fuel pump? Clogged fuel filter? water in the lines that iced over in cold weather creating blockage? (been there, done that) -- Not so fun dropping the gas tank, all of the gas lines and injectors/fuel rail.