Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

88' Civic sedan won't turn over

Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Default 88' Civic sedan won't turn over

First off I would like to say that this is my first post and I apologize if this issue has been THROUGHLY asked and answered many times before. However I didn't see anything exactly like what I am asking, so I shall post.

I live in Hawaii, and I drive an 88' Honda Civic Sedan Hatchback.

The other day I ran it pretty much completely out of gas, because I have a gas station next door and that was going to be the first place I went when I next drove. However, my dad started up the car and reparked it a few times, and I am pretty sure that was the last of the gas in the tank. Now, the car is sitting in the driveway, and it will not start. I poured 2 gallons into the tank, assuming this would fix the problem of not-starting. I was wrong -- the car still will not start. Now, I don't know that much about cars, and this is obviously my problem to fix so that explains why I am on this board asking for help, hope I'm in the right place.

I checked one of the plugs, and had a spark. I removed the distributor cap to check for water under it (it's rained for like 4 days straight,) and there was no water. As I said, I put two gallons of gas in the tank, so I don't think that's the problem. I took off the oil cap and tried starting it, and confirmed that my timing belt was okay due to the fact that I could see the cams opening and closing. I have ample battery power, I know that's not the problem. I don't have a compression tester on hand, but as far as I know, I should have compression (b/c of visual check.) That solves the three main problems - Fuel, Spark, Compression. As I said, the starter cranks, but the engine will not turn over. When I turn the key to ON I can hear the fuel pump near the tank whirring for a few seconds. (I think this is what the whirring is, I may be mistaken.)

Anyone have any ideas on what else may be causing this car to not start? Thank you all for your time, I appreciate any replies given.

.:EDIT:.
The check engine light is not on. I have heard something about a main relay going in civics when they get that old (147k mil) -- Is this possible and would the check engine light come on if it was?

.:EDIT:.
The ECU computer light is not registering any error codes.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Default RE: 88' Civic sedan won't turn over

I had this type of problem before. Here's what I did. There is a fuel line going from the fuel filter to the throttle body.With the key in the off position, take a 17mm socket or wrench and loosen (do not disconnect)the fuel line where it connects to the throttle body, next turn the key to the on position, fuel should squirt out, after it does turn the key to the off position, and tighten up the fitting. next try to start your car. Good Luck

Old 01-09-2007, 11:46 PM
HCF Member

Yea, this most probably should help. You just got too much air in the fuel system, you need to bleed it. On a caution note I would take a rug and wrap the loosened line before turning the key, cause it will spray pretty bad when fuel get there, all over your engine and around

Better yet, the other end of the fuel line at the fuel filter has the small bolt that actually is there just for that - to bleed the system.

Oh, yeah, forgot to note - your body style is called wagon, not sedan or hatchback

Old 01-09-2007, 11:54 PM

Thank you both so very much for your replies. My bad, the car is a wagon - I stand corrected. I will go attempt to do this (bleed the system out) now - I'll post back after I test this. Thanks again

Old 01-10-2007, 12:07 AM

Okay, I loosened said bolt, and gas dripped out, then I reached in and turned key, and the gas shot out with great force. And yes, it did cover my engine

However, I tried starting and it still wouldn't. So now I have fuel, spark (on one plug I tested only). What's next, trying to test compression? And is it worth testing each plug wire with a spare plug I have to verify that they ALL work, not just the one I tested?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2007, 12:18 AM
HCF Member

Well, than we probably can forget about running out of fuel [&:]
I don't think it's a compression, such stuff does not happen overnight.
Only two things left, and since preliminary checks show you have spark and you have fuel, now it's time to get **** and check those thing thorough.Quality spark on all plugs and ignition timing, those I would try to check first, cause Inever had a problem with injectors (that's all what left unchecked on the fuel part), and did not really hear about people having them...

Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 AM

As far as spark plugs go, is there a magical method for getting them out because I have like 4 plug sockets, and they are all too fat to fit down into the hole to unscrew the plug. Do you know of any workarounds? Thanks

Old 01-10-2007, 12:39 AM
HCF Member

Sorry, no, nothing that I know about. Guess your best bet will be the nearest parts store, whatever brand/chain you have down there in your paradise

Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 AM

I was just trying to check the wires with a plug I have, and I honestly cannot see a spark from inside the car. I guess I am stalled until I can get my friend to visually examine plugs as I turn the key in the car.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 AM
HCF Member

I think so. This job is for two. Meanwhile you might want to check this link, it has pretty comprehensive troubleshooting guide.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88' Civic sedan won't turn over